Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My Adsl keeps disconnecting..

Status
Not open for further replies.

mungoman

Technical User
May 18, 2006
AU
I have a DLink Modem/router 504 and have recently added a DLink Wireless router DI-624+ to it. It seems that since then my broadband connection appears to become "lost" but can quickly be recovered by using "repair". It's doing this regularly and I'm unable to determine why.
I have the ip address for the 504 as 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.6 for the 624.
If I look at the 504 setup wizard it usually reports the connection as "physical line error", but I'm not certain if this is the same thing. The ADSL LINK light on the 504 is lit but the "ACT" light is not showing.
I'm running a Duo 2.1 Ghz system with 1 gig ram.. plenty of everything and only 6 weeks old. XP Home.

I'm interested in why the "repair" remedy seems to work where as try to "connect" thru the wizard seldom does.

Any suggestions..? ( hope I've supplied enough info..if not..will..)

Be sure you have DHCP server service disabled on the DI-624+ as it is both unnecssary but can interefere.

Go to the Dlink site and see if there are upgrades to the firmware of both devices. Apply the firmware updates if so.

This does not at first glance appear to be an ISP issue.

Just ran across this same issue yesterday reading reviews on the router at newegg.com. Appears to be an issue with the 624+ that causes it to reboot every time a new wireless connects. Checked D-Link's site yesterday also and found no updated firmware yet. Guess they do know about it...

The test continues...

Thanks Bc... I did that and it seemed to help..

Pudda, you may be right.. but its a real pain... I will change them both to a single 504T and see how it goes..

It seems my problems may be deeper than just that..

Over past few weeks I've had that need to "repair" the connection (this was before the 624+ was ever connected) and although rksome, it worked..

Now I'm getting lengthy periods when I have no adsl connection at all.. that is.. the ADSL Link led is not lit.
It's become a bigger problem as the period of is running into hours at a time..

Yesterday, while in was in this state, I hooked another 504 on ( wasn't configured for the same ISP, so maybe...) and it didnt show the led either. Yet, when I awoke this morning everything was fine on the original modem (504).

I'v eonly been at this house for a couple of months and the previous owner was on a different ISP.. but she had no connection problems either.
It sounds a lot like the telephone service but before I contact them I just wonder if there's anything I'm overlooking. Oh, it does this even without the 624+ connected..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back