Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

My 1st interview HELP! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

timjcrist

IS-IT--Management
Jun 1, 2006
I just got a call for an interview for my first REAL job and I am pumped I was practically doing back flips when I got off the phone (now I know how those guys on the monster.com commercials feel). But the problem is I’m totally new to the interview process I’ve never been in a real interview so can anyone give me some hints, what to except, what to bring, that kind of stuff? I need any leg up I can get, so I will be thankful for any and all advice. Iv been googling things like “what to bring” and “questions to except” but its so specific to each job that I thought I would try here.

ps
The position is for an entry level tech externship (with possible permanent full time position?) How specific of questions should I expect in terms of my ability?

I can't help you with the content, but here's what I can tell you.
1) Dress well. Suit and tie. You don't have to look like a millionnaire, but you should look as though you want the job.
2) Bring a copy of your resume with you, in a suitcase, if you have one... If not, well, you can also fold it and put it in a pocket, but it's not as professional.. A pen. A book in case they make you wait.

3) BE HONEST. This is important. If you don't know something, say it. You can also say, "Oh, I saw this at college but I never got fluent in it for lack of time" or "I love this and I'm teaching it to myself right now!".. But say the truth.

4) Be friendly. Be warm. It's much easier to remember you if you crack jokes, or smile, or make the guy comfortable -- and they'll even remember you fondly, which won't help if you're not qualified, but might give you a shoe-in if you are.

"That time in Seattle... was a nightmare. I came out of it dead broke, without a house, without anything except a girlfriend and a knowledge of UNIX."
"Well, that's something," Avi says. "Normally those two are mutually exclusive."
-- Neal Stephenson, "Cryptonomicon"

1) Dress well. Suit and tie.
I was playing on going more business casual thanks for the input.

2)Bring a copy of your resume with you, in a suitcase, if you have one.
How about a manila folder, i dont own a suitcase but will this still look professional? How about a list of references?
3) BE HONEST. This is important. If you don't know something, say it. You can also say, "Oh, I saw this at college but I never got fluent in it for lack of time" or "I love this and I'm teaching it to myself right now!".. But say the truth

Thanks, that sounds better than um...i dunno..

4) Be friendly. Be warm. It's much easier to remember you if you crack jokes, or smile, or make the guy comfortable -- and they'll even remember you fondly, which won't help if you're not qualified, but might give you a shoe-in if you are.

Im trying to coach my self into being more outgoing when people ask me questions, I expect alot of them and I want to be prepaired

I am qualified for this position I know I am, now I just need to sell my self

In addition to Trevote's highly recommended suggestions (actually #2) if you don't have a suitcase, use a manilla folder or a cheapie $0.33 folder you can pick up in the school supply department. If all else fails, do the pocket fold thing.

Also, don't forget to bring a copy of 3 references...people who can vouge for you (non-relatives, professors, people you have volunteered with, etc.

If its a programming position, bring some samples of programs you have done in the past and BE PREPARED TO DO ON THE SPOT PROGRAMMING.

Arrive 10-15 minutes early for the interview. Then you have a chance to chat it up with the receptionist (if she isn't busy) and get some info about the company.

Come in with the winning attitude and keep in mind "You want the job".

Good Luck!

Also, don't forget to bring a copy of 3 references...people who can vouge for you (non-relatives, professors, people you have volunteered with, etc"

3 references? Do you mean like 3 letters of recomendation or contact information on 3 people?

As for me, a nice folder would do. I would buy a good but not too expensive folder, something in the area of $1-$5, possibly zippered or otherwise closable (so not to spill your papers around), paper/plastic/fabric, etc. But folder of any type, even the cheapest, would be better than the pocket fold thing.

Have your list of references with you, but don't volunteer it until asked for it, or have to fill the names in their application. Don't forget to talk to your references one more time before going to the interview and make sure they still remember you and willing to provide the references. Prepare them for the fact that they might be called soon.

If you don't know something but know how and where to find out, that would also be a good answer. Besides the answers given to you above, you can also say something to this effect: "Sorry, I am not ready to answer this right now, but I am sure I can solve this given a chance to do such-and such (say, browse through a reference book, searching the internet, looking up properties of some object, using specific software, etc.)".

3 references? Do you mean like 3 letters of recomendation or contact information on 3 people?
Contact information on 3 people is usually enough, but if you have the letters, they wouldn't hurt (still have info on how to contact the person).
Most employers require those people to be 'job-related', or 'school-related' for entry-level job seekers, not your friends.

Good luck.

A pen. Do not forget a pen.

I would suggest a leather bound (or plastic from Walmart) portfolio instead of a vanilla [smile] folder. It would look better. Don't fold your resume.

As others said; a suit and tie. Always dress nicely.

I usually have about 6 resumes I carry with me to interviews. If you get stuck in a room with 5 or 6 people they won't have to share. It also shows you are prepared.

Be confident! If someone questions you about something they may just be trying to see how you will react and whether you will back down. If you don't know something say so. Don't give an answer you don't know because they probably will and that will not look good. Better to say you don't know.

Smile [bigsmile]

Be polite and friendly. With everyone! Even a receptionist. That is your first contact and they may ask what their impression was of you.

I had a cold at my last job on my first interview and my nose was running constantly. I forgot to take kleenex, but thankfully HR had a box of kleenex on the interview table. My nose started to run so I apologized and I grabbed a kleenex to wipe my nose (not blow) and then said I had the cold for a few days but it was getting better, and that I was hoping it would be gone before the interview but it wasn't. There wasn't anything negative about that.

If you need a glass of water because you have a dry throat, ask for one before the interview starts.

And don't forget the pen!

Also bring any information you may need to fill out the personnel forms such as names of former supervisors and phone numbers and addresses of companies you worked for in the past. You want to appear organized. Always be nice to the receptionist - some companies ask her for her opinion of you.

As far as answering questions, be prepared for standard question like where do you want to be in 5 years or why should I hire you. (hint the answers are not - "your boss" or "Because I need the money.")

Look up the company you are interviewing for - know what they do and if there is any recent big news there such as a recent aquisition.

If at all possible, bring work samples, even student exercises (especially final project type exercises)can be a plus if they are interviewing only recent grads for a position. I've done a lot of hiring and this can often be what makes you stand out from the crowd.

Don't ask about benefits on the first interview - first you need to sell them on why they should hire you - then worry about the nuts and bolts of the offer. Bring up the subject too soon and you look greedy.

Remember, you are competing with other people who probably have roughly the same qualifications as you do, what will get you the job is finding a way to distinguish yourself positively from the rest of the crowd. Your personality is important in an interview. At the entry level, showing that you know how to behave professionally and are organized is an effective way to help distinguish yourself. An even better way is to recognize that the company wants to know how you will benefit them, not vice versa. So answer questions in terms of what you can bring to the company. Ask business oriented questions, things like asking how the position fits into the overall structure of the company or department. Ask about the duties or what they see as the most important need for the position and then in summary, make sure you hit the reasons why you personally would meet that need or how you can show that you can do the duties described.

It sounds obvious but you'd be surprised how many people don't seem to grasp it - the purpose of the first interview is to sell yourself to the company. Try to answer positively and if you don't know say that but express how you would go about finding the information if you need it for the job. If you feel you had to say you didn't know to a question that was important to them, then find out the answer and include it in a follow-up thank you note for the interview. Don't say anything bad about a former employer or school no matter how much you want to.

Look the interviewer in the eye. If you are interviewed by a panel or if the interviewer gives no signals as to how you are doing, then don't panic. Interviews are often designed to see how you react to pressure and these are ways to put additional pressure on you.

If you think you are totally wrong for a position, then tell them as soon as you know so you don't waste their time or yours. This won't get you that job (which you probably don't want anyway in this circumstance) but might get you an interview for a different opening that suits you better.

Remember that you won't get every job you interview for. Don't let that discourage you. Sometimes you aren't a good fit for the company and sometimes somebody else just did better than you did on the interview. After every interview, try to think what you could have inmproved, but remember, you are better off not getting the job if your personality and the company culture aren't compatible. So don't try to be fake at the interview - you want ultimately to work for a company that wants exactly the kind of employee you will be (assuming you have a certain minimum that all companies want like coming to work every day on time and taking supervision well.)

Questions about posting. See faq183-874
Click here to help with Hurricane Relief

Well I’m set for my interview. I have 2 pens, multiple copies of my resume and references. I have a briefcase, a suit, a notepad and a new hair cut. I am going in confident, and with a winning attitude. Win or lose after this interview I will treat it as a learning process. Thanks for everyone for there advice. I know I wouldn’t be going as prepared or with such a positive outlook without your advice. Thanks again, I’ll post how things go.

I can't see this mentioned, but polish your shoes beforehand. It goes with the suit to present a smart, professional appearance.

John

Well I made it through my first interview. It was not a bad as I thought it was going to be. I’m glade I wasn’t sat in a chair in the middle of the room, there were three people interviewing me it was intimidating enough as it was. Something I did do that I thought was a good idea was have my portfolio open during the interview and take notes. It seems simple enough but I think it shows that I was organized and interested. And it helps me later to review the job offer IF I get one. I was told I should expect a call tomorrow to let me know either way so I’m happy.

If you don't know something say so. Don't give an answer you don't know because they probably will and that will not look good. Better to say you don't know.
Looks like I'm replying a little late. Glad you felt it went well.

Regarding what to say when asked a question that you don't know the answer to -- a plain "I don't know" is far better than making stuff up (oh, the stories I could tell!) Remember, the interviewer most likely already knows the answer (although there are people who use the interviewee to solve their problem of the moment...)

Even better would be to say something like "I don't know, but here's how I would go about finding the answer..."

Given that you're right out of school, you don't have a lot of experience in the technologies they use -- what you're selling is your ability & energy to solve problems for them, so they're more interested in how you would solve stuff.

The other thing to remember is to answer the question you were asked. Techies tend to blurt out the first related fact they know, instead of considering the question, and giving them the answer to the question that was asked. Listen.. then talk. ;-)

And, should they decide not to hire you (hopefully they do!), don't get bummed out. A job hunt is a matter of a thousand "no" responses to find the one "yes" response. In other words, it's a numbers game -- just keep plugging away.

Best of luck.
Chip H.

Thanks for all the help and advice I’ve received that last few days. I did get the job and I’m sure something I read on here helped me do it so thanks! Matter of fact, I was writing an email to the person I interviewed with, thanking them for meeting with me and hoping them to consider me for this job, and I checked me email about an hour later and he told me he was just about to call me when he got my email. I did get the job and I think this will be a great spring board for my career. Thanks again for the help, and more importantly the encouragement!

Congratulations! Remeber that your first day on the job will be important, as well, for giving your co-workers good first impressions. Unless you've been told otherwise, wear the suit and tie again to work on Day 1. Try and remember everyone's name as you're introduced to them. And be prepared for paperwork. In my company, at least, the first day of work is spent in filling out forms for health insurance, systems access, payroll direct deposit, etc.

Again, congratulations!

Susan
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls, and looks like work." - Thomas A. Edison

The follow up thank you letter is very important. You would be surprised to know that very few people send one. It leaves an impression and can go a long way to separate yourself from others, especially if they didn't send one.

Congratulations.

Well done!!!

Rosie
"Don't try to improve one thing by 100%, try to improve 100 things by 1%

I've only just found this post and was going to echo most of the comments made by others.

But all I need to say is Congratulations!

(And remember TT is here if you get stuck...)

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back