Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MX record or smtp issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

elijah01

Technical User
Jun 11, 2003
US
For some reason when i try to send a test email to a friend i get and error within outlook stating error on sending from etekdesigns.com. So, I went to dnsreport.com to see if everything was correct and the following what showed on the test:
WARN: One or more of your mailservers does not accept mail in the domain literal format (user@[0.0.0.0]). Mailservers are technically required RFC1123 5.2.17 to accept mail to domain literals for any of its IP addresses. Not accepting domain literals can make it more difficult to test your mailserver, and can prevent you from receiving E-mail from people reporting problems with your mailserver. However, it is unlikely that any problems will occur if the domain literals are not accepted.

mail.etekdesigns.com's postmaster@[65.40.10.93] response:
>>> RCPT TO: <postmaster@[65.40.10.93]>
<<< 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for postmaster@[65.40.10.93]

My question is this what actually do i need to setup in the dns to correctly configure it. Right I have only one server so i am running dns, IIS and email on this server. I know this is not good due to security reasons but you have to do with what you got at times. Here is the following steps I did on configuring the MX record. 1st, I created a new host gave it a name of mail, which gave it a FQDN of mail.etekdesigns.com. Then I created and MX record pointed that record to the one i jus made mail.blah.com. Then I created an MB record pointed that one to mail.blah.com.

Can anyone tell if this is correct? If not point me in the right direction. Next If so what would cause for my email not to send, I know it has to be with the smtp. But dont know.
Thanks in advance

The error message that you are seeing has to do with your mail server setup. From the dnsreport and the mail report it would appear that your dns is set up OK (just some minor inconsistencies between your mail servers). Check into your mail servers config especially for enabling domain literals.

Electricity is actually made up of extremely tiny particles called electrons, that you cannot see with the naked eye unless you have been drinking.
Dave Barry

Ok, I found one problem. I send a test from outlook express from the server itself with no problem. It seems to be a client problem negotiating with server for email. How do i fix problem?

I found the problem, it was on client side. I had to go to advance settings and check log on to using the user name and password only for authentication. I sent a test with no errors. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back