Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MX Develpoment Bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

gagslondon

Programmer
Nov 24, 2000
GB
I have searched for this because I am sure MX's idiosyncrasies have been discussed here already but I have not found any refernce to the problem I encountered today.

I am teaching actionscript at the moment and my class is full of bright people but with no experience of Flash. So mistake one is putting code where it shouldn't go.

Obvious mistake and one that everyone makes. The problems I am having is that when I have isoloated the code and got the student to attach it to a clip instead of on a frame Flash still kicks out errors for the now non-exitstant code on a frame somewhere.

Deleting the layer doesn't work, I even copied and pasted the object onto a new movie and the bug came with it!!!

Anyone else come across this? It is a right pain to try and teach with this bug (as is properties not being green anymore) and I am stumped to what to suggest to my class.

I am pretty certain this happens on both pc's and macs.

This is enough for me to not use MX really.

Any ideas? (or a good excuse or two) !!

cheers

g

I think something similar did happen to me... the way I remember getting out of it was deleting the object itself, and re-creating a new one, with a new instance name!

Also, one wonders, if a student has misplaced code, he maybe has misplaced it twice (without you knowing about it), and there's one still lying around somewhere! Regards,

oldman3.gif

I've had this happen on a job last month and couldn't find a way round it. This was on Mac, I haven't come across it on PC and that's the platform I use most. Very annoying - I actually completely rebuilt the file, renamed it, deleted layers and nothing shifted the error being flagged in the output window when the file was published - very embarassing when you're demoing the file to the creative director ;-)

oldnewbie
Also, one wonders, if a student has misplaced code

You are too right and something to bear in mind before I start pulling my hair out.

wangbar
I think we have both experienced the situation of having to deal with this before an audience. Not exactly a nice stroll in the park.

Is this enough to put people off MX for now? I can't decide.

cheers

g

It would have to be much more serious to put me off MX - let's face it your final audience have no idea that it's even happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back