Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MX and Apache 2.0.47

Status
Not open for further replies.

doyle9732

Programmer
Apr 12, 2002
CA
Does anyone know if MX and Apache 2.0.47 is a good match? I tried looking in the Apache forum and did a search here, but didn't find the answer.

If it's not a good match, what is the latest version of Apache that does work well?

thanks!
Stephanie

Stephanie,
MX and Apache 2.0.47... does it work? Yes, definitely. That's what I use on my development laptop.

Is it a good match? That would probably depend on who you talk to, what O/S you're running, and what you are looking to do with ColdFusion and your site in general.

If you're running a given flavor of Windows, it's sometimes just easier and more reliable to simply use IIS. Since IIS was built specifically for Windows (and some would say vice versa as well), it's a little more integrated and a little more forgiving of resources (ie - it "knows" all of Windows little nuances). By contrast, while I haven't seen the latest stats, I do believe Apache's bread-and-butter is still UNIX/LINUX and BE environments... it's where they're really concentrating. So Apache does tend to run a bit slower under Windows, though, ironically, it's often far more stable.

If you're running on <insert UNIX flavor here>, Apache is great (IMHO). It's fast, stable, and full-featured (even if it's configuration can be quite a bit more manual than something like GUI-happy IIS).

Finally, while Apache is a tremendous server (again, IMHO), it's not typically considered an enterprise-level solution. If you're looking to serve high-traffic applications with transactional functionality (read: e-commerce), you might arguably do better with more of an enterprise solution, like iPlanet, etc.

-Carl

thanks for answering Carl,

we're running it on windows 2000, but are moving toward windows 2003.

it's for an intranet with not too heavy a load.....web-based applications interacting with Access for the most part.

I was given to understand (from someone who I believe 'knows their stuff') that Coldfusion seems to have trouble with the latest Apache ......so there's no truth to this?

Stephanie

Well... define &quot;trouble&quot;.

There are a few small hoops to jump through for install... the MX installation exe doesn't seem to recognize that Apache is running so it won't automatically edit the http.conf file to plug in ColdFusion (so, by default, CF installs under it's own standalone web server). But it's fairly straightforward to go in and manually edit the Apache file yourself so that CF will use it instead.

But as far as day-to-day operations of the two communicating properly with each other, I haven't any problems at all.

-Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back