Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MWI status light on Cisco 7940 IP Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

adop

Technical User
Sep 3, 2004
Does anyone knows why MWI light on Cisco 7940 IP phone lights red occasionally and stays on even when there are no new messages? “Reset status” (under messages tab, on admin page of unity) or resetting phone helps (not always) but this is annoying. Has anyone experience this? Thanks.

Yer we have had this issue, it transpired that someone had left a message for a user without VM... strange.

to clear it dial you WMI number on the phone, the number can be found on the ccm admin page under features / voicemail / message waiting

Hope this helps

I've got this problem. There are no messages but MWI is on. Tried dialing the MWI Off number but it's 4 digits and we use 5 digit dialing. Needless to say, it didn't work.

When I try to reset the MWI in Unity, I receive an error in the event log. Funny thing is that the user's extension is 44435 and the error states that his extension is 44137. There is no voice mail account for x44137.

Any ideas? Here's the event properties.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: CiscoUnity_Notifier
Event Category: Run
Event ID: 1032
Date: 8/17/2005
Time: 5:32:30 PM
User: N/A
Computer: RSTN-UNITY1
Description:
Failed to set message waiting lamp for Vashon, Dave, ext 44137, reason: Load from Doh failed. Turn on Doh diagnostics to troubleshoot.

For more information, click:

I have a phone that have MWI on all the time and little blinking envelope icon on the phone. The phone is not setup for VM. Resetting the phone does not solve the problem. I suspect there are some SQL inconsistencies either in CCM or Unity.

We have had this issue before. If it is just one person, hard booting the phone clears it up. But, if there are more than just one person experiencing it, we usually have to reboot unity.

Oh, one more thing to try. Sometimes, if the MWI lamp is on with no message, try leaving a message. Once it is retrieved, the lamp will go out.

I don't know if these are the "technical" troubleshooting steps, but it worked for me.

Thanks,
Abbey

Run the "DBWalker" utility located in the Unity tools depot find SQL DB errors

i failed over my VM server and that resynched my VM lamps, only had to do that one time

D:\CommServer\ConfigurationSetup\setup /sync might be something to look at too

I tried the resynch and it didn't work. I'm going to unplug the phone and try a "hard" reboot. If it still doesn't work, I'll reboot Unity tonight.

The MWI problems are not new but this is the first time I've seen Unity trying to turn off an MWI to the wrong extension.

Just an update....I did the resynch on Wednesday evening and checked the phone yesterday. The message light was still on. I decided to go into Unity and refresh the MWI one more time. After refreshing, I went into the event log expecting to see an error but it never happened.

Seems the resynch worked but it didn't turn his light off until I refreshed the MWI in his account. Now I don't know if that was truly the fix or if it was just a coincidence but the MWI is off now.

Novatech, Part of your problem may be what you stated in your first post. You have a mixed length dial plan. Are you positive you have no overlapping numbers with your 4 digit MWI codes? Why did you mix them 4 and 5 digits?? If you had picked 2 5 digit codes for MWI you only use 2 numbers, if you pick 4 digits MWI, you mark 20 numbers unusable due to overlap, ie 1234 and 1235 for MWI, you can't use 1234X and 1235X. I usually pick a range like 89XXX and reserve it for ALL CCM functions like PickUp, Park, MWI, etc.
I had someone ASSIGN the MWI On code to an extension one time. He couldn't understand why VM was calling the phone every 10 seconds.
Also you should set Unity to re-sync MWI EVERY night. Will stop many MWI issues.

Thanks for the post pndscm. Our vendor set up MWI so I'm not sure why he used 4 digits. He was probably limited due to the remote CCMs we connect to. We also have 2 Avaya Prologix systems in our facility that connect to Unity. Our dial plan is complicated and had to be planned carefully.

I'm positive that we don't have any overlapping numbers. Although we have 4000 DIDs, we use dummy numbers for all CCM functions.

I know that Unity is not set to re-synch each night so I'll get that going. The re-synch I did caused a lot of activity in the event logs. Is that normal? Many of the events stated "An attempt to turn OFF the MWI for extension XXXXX received no response from CCM". It looks like all of these mailboxes were recently deleted. I'm assuming that since the mailbox was deleted in Unity, and Exchange still holds it for a specific amount of time, the re-synch still sees the data in Exchange and attempts to set or clear the MWI.

I am getting ready to install a service release 2b (4.0(2a)SR2b) and noticed in the caveats that CSCef02128 fixes the ability to set/clear MWI. I'm hoping that will fix some of the issues.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back