Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MUVPN Lite not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbusy

Technical User
Dec 10, 2003
I need some advice on using the MUVPN client. I dont seem to be able to get it to work and although I have a call logged with Watchguard its taking time to get anywhere as Im 8 hours ahead of PST.

Basically Im not sure if Im expectations of what I should be seeing are wrong, or if the software just isnt working.

I have a watchguard firebox 500 which works very nicely protecting my network from bad people. I recently tried to use one of the 5 VPN client licences that come with that box to give improved remote access to one of our home workers. The client is installed on the laptop and everything looks fine. When I right click the system tray icon and do a connect I get a message saying its connected. The problem is that nothign seems to happen. I still cannot get access to the network behind the firewall and when I check the logs there are no packets getting dropped or suspicious connections getting blocked. Nothing at all seems to happen.
Im not sure if the client allows split tunnelling, but the client workstations can still get to the internet without a problem.
The config is an out-of-the-box install of the software and a WGX file generated by the firebox.
Am I missing something or is it just not working?

you need to create a rule for the ANY service allowing ipsec_users access to trusted and vice versa

If you are using extended authentication groups, the groups you have assigned access to also need to be present in the rules

is the vpn getting the key under it? if so can you ping nodes on the network? do you have the network dial up settings correctly configured?

I have had lots of problem with the MUVPN lite client.
It fails consistantly to register the adapter, and when it appears to work, it does not even prompt me for my Radius user authenitcation, it just carries on as if I am using Firebox authentication. Also, I go to select connect to and there is no connection, like I did not even import my WGX even thogh I did.

I suggest uninstalling and reinstalling the client.

Hope you have better luck then me.

Matt

Ive come to the considered opinion since I posted my original question that the MUVPN Lite software is not actually very good. Having used the Cisco VPN software extensively I dont think it compares very well at all.

I finally got it working for my originally intended user after about three reinstalls but Ive been unable to replicate that sucess on my home PC.

Anyone still around on this thread?

I've got 3 SOHOs at 3 diff sites. I've tried MUVPN-lite at two of them. Both can connect, pinging away happily via IP. I can even connect via IP address. Using any sort of netbios name gets me nowhere, any quick ideas?

thanks for any advice

JT

Hi stiles123,

You wrote:
"you need to create a rule for the ANY service allowing ipsec_users access to trusted and vice versa

If you are using extended authentication groups, the groups you have assigned access to also need to be present in the rules"

Could you or anyone else explain this a bit more?

I can connect to my Firebox500 using a ipsec_user. Everything lookes to be ok but I can't ping or access anything on the remote network.

If I connect using a extended authentication useraccount it also looks ok at first but when I try to ping I'm beeing asked for a username and password. I can't get past this username and password step.

All help is very much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back