Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Must use an updateable query 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rossmcl

Programmer
Apr 18, 2000
Hi there<br>I am using the below to write to a guestbook table in Access2000.<br>########################<br>'Build Insert String<br>strSQL = &quot;INSERT INTO Guestbook(Name, Email, Date_Entered, URL, IP_Address, Message)&quot;<br>strSQL = strSQL & &quot; SELECT &quot;<br>strSQL = strSQL & &quot;'&quot; & Name & &quot;' as text1, &quot;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>strSQL = strSQL & &quot;'&quot; & Email & &quot;' as text2, &quot;<br>strSQL = strSQL & &quot;'&quot; & Date() & &quot;' as text3, &quot;<br>strSql = strSQL & &quot;'&quot; & URL & &quot;' as text4, &quot;<br>strSql = strsql & &quot;'&quot; & IPAddy & &quot;' as text5, &quot;<br>strSQL = strSQL & &quot;'&quot; & replace(request(&quot;Message&quot;), &quot;'&quot;, &quot;''&quot;) & &quot;' as text6 &quot; <br>conn.execute(strSQL)<br>conn.close<br>set conn = nothing<br>#################<br><br>It gives me the following error:<br><br>Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005' <br><br>[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an updateable query. <br><br>/cgi-bin/test/rmclanac/savemessage.asp, line 34 <br><br><br>=======<br>Can you please help me? Does anyone know how to get around this problem?<br>Any help would be much appreciated.<br>Thanks In Advance<br>Ross McLanachan<br><br><br>

This is most likely a permissions problem.&nbsp;&nbsp;Make sure the internet account has write access to the database and the folder it's in. <p>nick bulka<br><a href=mailto:nick@bulka.com>nick@bulka.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Nick (et al)<br>Thanks a lot for that. Unfortunately, I dont know how to do what you are saying.<br>Surely if I can put the database in the folder, and add stuff to it manually in the database (whilst it is in this folder), then I must have write access? (and should therefore be able to do it via an asp page.<br><br>Your help would be greatly appreciated again.<br>(thanks for such a speedy response first time round!)<br>Ross

Ross,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Although you might have write access to the database,&nbsp;&nbsp;when the access is done through a web page,&nbsp;&nbsp;it's not you who is doing the update.&nbsp;&nbsp;ASP pages run under the internet guest account,&nbsp;&nbsp;IUSR_&lt;MachineName&gt; (replace &lt;MachineName&gt; with the actual name of your system.&nbsp;&nbsp;For a more detailed explanation, check out this url:<br><br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> the way,&nbsp;&nbsp;any time you get an error message from a Microsoft product,&nbsp;&nbsp;you can go to search.microsoft.com,&nbsp;&nbsp;enter the text of the error message,&nbsp;&nbsp;and you'll usually get the fix for the problem,&nbsp;&nbsp;or at least a hint as to where to start looking.<br><br>regards, <p>nick bulka<br><a href=mailto:nick@bulka.com>nick@bulka.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Elab on Write Permissions<br><br>If you are using winnt/2k use the MMC IIS snap in to set the permission for your database folder. Just right click&gt;&gt;properties and the options will be right there. If you're on a Win 98 system using PWS Click the Advanced button, select your database folder and click Edit Properties. Use the Check Boxes accordingly.<br><br>Hope This Helped.<br>Jeremy Lowery

Jeremy,<br>I am unsure what you mean by MMC IIS snap.<br>Can I not set the permissions in teh security options by right mouseclicking on database and going into properties?<br>Your help would me much appreciated.<br>Thanks<br>Ross

I'm not sure. I just got win2k the other day, and I&quot;m still learning it. I think that is User Access to the database (like people that login to the computer). For what I'm talking about, you can do it two ways. Goto control panel, admin tools &gt;&gt; Internet Services manager or goto the run box, type &quot;MMC&quot;.. then.<br>console&gt;&gt;add/remove snap-in&gt;&gt; Add&gt;&gt;Internet information services..<br><br>Your computer name will be listed.. goto default web site, then expand until you get to your db directory. If it's not listed, right click default web site and add virtual directory. Right click the folder, hit properties. There you will have the file permissions for your virtual directory on your web server&gt;&gt;that is how your computer accesses your files when you're on your intranet &quot;localhost.&quot; or internet &quot;if you're a server on the net&quot; make sure the &quot;write&quot; permission is set.<br><br>Hope this helped.<br>Jeremy Lowery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back