Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Must Reader be uninstalled before full version is installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbMark

Programmer
Apr 10, 2003
US
I have 2 installations where the users were previously using Acrobat Reader 5.1, and Acrobat 6.0 Standard was later installed. Now those workstations are getting an error saying:

Acrobat
An error has occurred in your work in a new file. To quit this program, click close. You will lose information you entered since your last save.
CLOSE IGNORE (ignore cannot be selected)

Should Acrobat Reader have been uninstalled first? Is it a problem of different versions or mismatched shared resources? I'm tempted to uninstall both, then reinstall only the full version, but first I'd like to know if any of you have encountered this and the best fix. Thanks in advance.

My feeling would be that you're on the right track.
I have full acrobat 4 on my home system. Another family member downloaded and installed reader 6. At that point we then had a variety of problems getting pdfs opened and which product was going to open them.
I uninstalled both through add/remove programs, rebooted, removed adobe entries from program files and common files (I had no other adobe products installed), rebooted and reinstalled v4, and everything worked fine. Have not reinstalled reader 6.

That seems to be the case. I wonder why Acrobat's installer doesn't alert me that Reader is still on the system? The problem arose with 2 computers that had Acrobat Reader 5.1 installed. Others that had the older Reader 4.0 don't seem to have any conflicts or issues so far.

As a side note, while on Abobe's forum (searching for similar errors) I saw that there have been several posts concerning some scanner issues with upgrades to Acrobat 6.0. Seems to be a driver issue with some scanners that has been ongoing for a couple months now. People posting there don't know if it is due to many incorrect scanner drivers or unexpected and unanticipated conflicts with version 6.0. No one seems to knows who will eventually help them, scanner manufacturers tweaking their drivers or Adobe tweaking the new Acrobat 6.0.

Not only do you suspect it is the case it is. Any version before Reader 6.0 should be uninstalled before installing 6.0.

A great place to stayed informed is to get on the mailing list at and sign up for the office watch. You will learn of problems hopefully far enough ahead of time to save yourself all kinds of problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back