Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

must power on and off twice before win 2k loads

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeaheh

Technical User
Nov 9, 2002
US
Hello,
I recently installed Windows 2000 Prof on a computer and now it will only load Windows if I power the computer on and off twice. If I shut down my computer properly and attempt to restart it, the LCD (red light) stays on constantly and does not load windows. I then shut it down and power up again to get Win to load. How do I remedy this situation?

Background:
I previously had Win 98 installed and was simply going to Upgrade versus Clean install. On upgrading, Win 2K gave an error msg to the effect: Norton Anti Virus is active, hit end now to close the program. I stupidly hit end now thinking this would actually close Norton and in the midst of installing Win 2K, I got an error message saying a program was trying to write to the boot record. From there, I had an incredibly difficult time reinstalling windows and I ended up reformatting my harddrive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

If you have an old win98 boot disk try booting to that and then run "fdisk /mbr" without the quotes. This will refresh your master boot record. That may be the issue, my other thought was that you may need a bios update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back