Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Must I Scan the tapes?! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TScrappy

IS-IT--Management
Oct 27, 2005
US
Our configuration:

Back up Exec 9.1 Rev 4691
Compaq TL891

My backups require that tapes be changed every day for rotation's sake. By doing this, should I fail to scan the tapes after I change them the back up will not run as it does not detect the new tapes in the library unless I perform this MANUAL task. How can I automate this "Rick-click>Scan tapes" procedure to reduce the human element/errors?

I searched the forums here and can find no similar posting so I am assuming this is simply a design feature.

Signed,
Perplexed -Tom

Why not set a scheduled "inventory" job to run just prior to your first backup job of the period?
This way, BE will now what media it has and will also report the correct media id in the job log on completion.

This is a good idea and it worked great. Thank you.

Got to be honest, that confused me for the first week when I took over our BE setup!
So just for fun, I blew the controller board on the tape changer in our Overland powerloader - DOH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back