Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Must hit Send/Receive option in Outlook to get Email

Status
Not open for further replies.

twolimes

IS-IT--Management
Mar 5, 2002
US
For some strange reason some of my users can only receive mail from my exchange 5.5 server if they hit the Send/Receive button in their outlook 2000 client. If anyone has any insight to this problem it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Twolimes

What is their default profile in Outlook? Glenn
"The answer is still 42"

sorry........i had the same problem.
what do you mean by answer is 42?

I created a regular profile using last names. I have to read other email in my inbox before I see new mail show up. It is driving me nuts. I do have a work around for outlook 2002, but some users using outlook 2000 are screwed.

I am totally having the same problems. We are using outlook 98, 2000, and 2002 here. It has just started in the last month. No apparent reason. i am going bonkers trying to find out why.

I had this problem recently after we set up a new exchange server. Solved by putting ip address of new server in hosts file.

If I've just said something really daft - don't tell me!!! It's my first time replying

:) Deefer

I'm new here so please don't hurt me.
Working on sites with POP3 in NT4 environment + outlook 98/2000 I found a similar problem.(Auto retrieve set to 10 min, but nothing happens) I reinstalled .... nothing etc..

Finally I copied over all the related dll's for outlook from a working very similar install and the problems have gone. The problem clients there have been working for the last 6 months now without problems. Never know might be of use.

I know it's a different kettle of fish using exchange, but i haven't come accross this problem with exchange 5.5 yet so this is all i can suggest. Be carefull doing this though, back up the files you overight.

Have fun now. B :)

If your blocking UDP packets you will have this issue. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

I have solved it on my end. It seems to be a network protocal issue. I was using TCP/IP and netbeui, so I added a second NIC and let that one use netbeui, and the other NIC use TCP/IP and now it works fine. I don't know why, maybe the NIC is bad, maybe it was configuration issue.

It is working fine right now.

-Weird Willi

techie kid...

Re: your post of March 7

"The answer is still 42"

refers to the question the dolphins asked the computer
in "Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy" --- "What is the meaning of life?"

The answer -eons later, was "42" Glenn
"The answer is still 42"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search