Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Must have NetBEUI? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

oblib

Programmer
May 29, 2001
GB
Hi All
I'm running a small network with 3 machines running W2K pro and a server running Win 2000 server.
I have the Microsoft Client for Windows, TCP/IP, File and Print Sharing installed but the problem is that I can't connect to the server unless I have NetBEUI installed on both Clients and Server.
Can anyone explain this for me?
Regards
OB

You do not need NETBEUI to make the scenario you described work. The default network settings you installed should suffice. Make sure all of the computers are running the same ip configuration scenario: (server = 192.168.0.x, workstation1 = 192.168.0.x, workstation2 = 192.168.0.x; x being a number 1-254 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0)Make sure they are all in the same workgroup/domain as well.

Keep me posted!

Hi
I've got a router which is 192.168.1.1 and is a DHCP server. My W2K server is static at 192.168.1.2 and the workstations are 192.168.1.11, 192.168.1.12 and 192.168.1.13.
Strangely I can ping the srver from a workstation but not vice-versa.
Any more things I can try?
Thanks for your reply
OB

You may have already thought about this but, if you assign any static addresses to computers, make sure they are outside the pool of addresses the router uses for DHCP. I had some similar probs when I mistakenly assigned statics inside the pool.

Telnet into the router with the default username and password provided by your ISP and turn off DHCP on the router. You should not have DHCP on the router and on the server if you can avoid it. Or turn off DHCP on the server and let all three of your computers be assigned a dynamic IP from the router.

u said that u can ping the server from the workstation ..
ok ,, try to connect to the server using the ip ,,
start menu -> Run -> \\192.168.1.1

and see if u can connect or not ...

Another thing , if u can ping the server , and the server can't , this may lead to another problem ,, or just u have some kind of firewalls in your client PC .. Mohamed Farid
Know Me No Pain , No Me Know Pain !!!

Three things....

(1)Make sure the domain or workgroup is identical (including case) at all machines.

Assuming that you are not using DHCP on the router. If you are, leave the address to be dynamically assigned and skip #2 and #3 below. See replies from Rokyrd and StateChamp, above.

(2)Make sure IP addresses are in the form 192.168.0.x, where x is any number from 2 to 254. 192.168.0.1 is the server address.

(3) Set the gateway and dns entries on the clients to 192.168.0.1.

Hi Guys
Thanks for all your help. It's fixed!
OB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back