Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Must close outlook and reopen it to view new messages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamie81

Programmer
Aug 28, 2001
US
I have a group of users that are using Outlook to view their email messages. They are connecting to our Exchange Server, as part of the Microsoft Small Business Server Package. I know that the messages are actually residing on our server(not their local machine), and that they are not using personal folders. My problem is:

My users must either click on "inbox" on the left hand side of their screen, or close outlook and reopen it to view thier new messages. The new messages do not automatically show. I have searched and searched and cannot find a setting to fix this. How can I fix this problem?

Go to one of the workstations and delete their profile from Outlook and then re-create it. This has fixed similar problems for me.

HI!

If the previous answer does not help, then read on.

For the new messages to appear, the server must notify the client about the new message arrived. So if it does not work, you might have a communication problem.
When you open outlook or click "Inbox", the client initiates the connection.

What network protocols are installed on the server and clients?
How TCPIP name resolution is done on your network?
Are the server and clients on the same phisical network?
Is there a filtering router/NAT/FireWall between the server and clients?
Can the server ping the clients using IP address?
"""" using computer name?
Do you have other comunication problems?
Was it working before?

Bye

Yizhar Hurwitz

Sounds like UDP packets are being blocked. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Thank you so much for your suggestions.

I think a host file was created to handle the TCP/IP name resolution. The servers and clients are not on the same physical network. There is a proxy server between us and them. We cannot ping the internal ip addresses, but can ping their router.

I have a more questions.
How do I go about deleting an Outlook profile?
If the UDP packets are being blocked, how do I go about correcting that problem?

Thanks again,
Jamie

Hi Jamie
Thought I'd sent this reply, but don't see it on the thread.

Maybe this will help, as I had a similar problem - namely every time I requested mail, once the mail screen was up the system disconnected from the server. On re-connecting all was well.

Looking at Outlook Express - Tools>Options>Connections
I found a switch set to "Hang up after sending or receiving" !!! Just what was happening. Put the switch off, and no further problems. No idea how the switch got set as I'd never seen the screen before and had been using the ISP for 18 months without this problem.
Norman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back