Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Must close outlook and re-open to view new messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamie81

Programmer
Aug 28, 2001
US
I have a group of users that are using Outlook to view their email messages. They are connecting to our Exchange Server, as part of the Microsoft Small Business Server Package. I know that the messages are actually residing on our server(not their local machine), and that they are not using personal folders. My problem is:

My users must either click on "inbox" on the left hand side of their screen, or close outlook and reopen it to view thier new messages. The new messages do not automatically show. I have searched and searched and cannot find a setting to fix this. How can I fix this problem?

never come across that one!?!?!

Try this and see what happens, go to Tools->options and in the Preferences tab click on E-Mail Options. In here tick the box 'display notification when new messages arrive' and see if they display or if anything at all happens??!! Jay~

My new Tae Kwon Do website is up and running!!

~KeyTech

Thank you for the suggestion.

I tried that and it sends them a pop-up window when they click the inbox, but they still have to click on the inbox or close outlook to get their messages in a timely fashion.

Sometimes they will get messages in about 15 minutes, other times it takes a few hours. Sometimes they won't get them at all without clicking the inbox. It's very inconsistent. I am wondering if(for starters) there is a setting somewhere in Outlook or in Exchange server to set the timing of folder synchronization or...........? I am looking and looking and I can't find one. Any ideas?

One thing you could try is going to TOOLS | SERVICES. In the General tab make sure it radio button for "Automatically detect connection state" is marked. Under the Advanced tab, is "Enable offline use" checked? If so, this might be the cause?!? There are a few more items in there you could check. This is all I can come up with though.

Hi Jamie

Had a similar problem. Each time I succeeded in making the link to my ISP, as soon as I called for mail it disconnected. 2nd time logging on was OK.

Looking at Outlook Express>tools>options>connections I found a switch set saying "Hang up after sending or receiving" !!!! Just what was happening. Switched it off, no problems since. Ain't it quaint how those gremlins get in and alter a switch? It wasn't me as I'd never seen the window before.
Hope that may help.

Norman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back