Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Must Change Password 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentrcb

MIS
Mar 2, 2001
US
In an NT domain, I have users who access Outlook or Outlook Web Access (OWA) in one of two methods:

Internal - machine connected to member, but user does not log on as Domain user

External - users connects to OWA via ISP.

We recently executed strong password encryption, and forced all users to change passwords at next log on. Despite the fact that Outlook and/or OWA understands that a new password is required, and requests it of the user, the user entry is not accepted by the Domain Controller and they are subsequently unable to access their email.

Anyone have any ideas on this, other than setting these passwords to never expire (not an acceptable solution!)

I believe OWA requires SSL to be installed for a user to actually be able to change their domain password.

OK, but what about users on the network (but not domain members) using Outlook 2000 who have the same problem?

The client cannot establish a remote procedure call (RPC) connection to the Local Security Authority (LSA) to change the password. There is a good article on Microsoft's Knowledgebase that explains it Q236111. I recently had the same problems you are facing, and actually found a way to allow these users to change their passwords through a Web Browser using IIS. Again a article from MS knowledgebase (Q184619) explains how to do this. Just make sure you disable SSL which it uses by default and realize that it is a large security hole.

I am looking for a solution or a tool which would prompt a remote user accessing his mail via outlook express(IMAP to exchange server) to change his network password when it is up for renewal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back