Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Must be Administrator to use Outlook COM Add-In?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbhnp

MIS
Jul 9, 2002
US
Can this be true?

Depending on how your administrator has locked down your workstation and if there's a group policy applied, yes.

We have group policy to prevent users from being able to install software. What we want is to deploy the Add-In through SMS as Admin so the limited user can use it. The problem is the user can't use it if the Administrator installed it. Is this typical or are we missing the boat on something? Do we just bag the whole Outlook COM Add-In stategy because it can't be deployed?

What COM Add-In is it? I had a problem with the Personal Folders backup add-in, when you install it as the admin it only gets added to the admin mail profile and not the users.

To fix I logged into Outlook as the user, then: Tools>Options>Other>Advanced Options...>COM Add-ins...>Add...
Then browse to the exe/dll of the add-in you want (In my case c:\program files\microsoft office\office11\addins\outbak.dll) and that should add the functionality to their profile too.

Hope this helps,

Al

BIGAL
It's an addin we developed in house. The typical user can't load the addin in the way you describe because they don't have permissions to load their own addins. That's the hurdle we're trying to overcome.

I'm thinking we may have to implement a Outlook Security Settings public folder and install the Outlook Security template. Then set HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Security\CheckAdminSettings

Anyone know if this is the only way to do this in Outlook 2002?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back