Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Music Stutters

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTAFREEK

Technical User
Nov 28, 2003
US
Ok, i don't understand why my computer is just now doing this but, everytime im listening to music and i go into internet explorer and hit enter or if a recieve a message from somebody in AIM, or basically anything that you recieve text, my musi will stutter. It is getting very annoying and I can't understand why it would do this because i just restored my PC not too long ago and everything was fine.

be more precise please,

which kind of music, mp3, cd, wav, netradio,

wich version of os, iexplorer,

etc,

If the source of the music is a CD, then make sure that DMA is checked in your CD-ROM drive's settings in Device Manager.

If the music is from all sources, then make sure that there are not a lot of unnecessary programs running in the background(antivirus programs in particular chew up a lot of memory and CPU bandwidth).

If that's ok, then remove all spyware with either Spybot or Ad-aware.

If no luck, then adjust your sound card's acceleration.

If still no luck, then make sure that your system has sufficient memory so that the swapfile(virtual memory) does not activate.

K, none of that worked, and i have plenty of ram, a stick of 512 DDR333 and a stick of 256DDR

Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling your media player, and also fixing IE with its repair tool?

Are you sure you're not listening to Mel Tillis?[bigsmile]
But seriously folks, it's usually a problem with system resources. Did you do the Ctl>Alt>Del and make sure nothing is running but explorer and systray?

Jim

I'll assume you are running windows (98 up to XP), if so go into your hardware device manager. Right click my computer, properties, hardware, device manager, select your cd/dvd rom drive that giving you problems and de-select the "Enable digital CD Audio for this CD-ROM device" on the properties tab....done! I've corrected this problem of every pc I own and this was the solution!

...or

I believe there is also away of doing this in windows media player under tools/options, CD Audio tab and de-selecting the Digital Playback...I'm not 100% on the exact names/tabs but if you look for it you should be able to get close! I mention this as this was the first solution I used back in the old media player 7 or 8 days.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back