Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Music on Hold/Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

sespinoza

IS-IT--Management
Jul 13, 2016
US
Hello all.
We currently have our music on hold setup as a wav file. So If I put someone on hold, they hear it fine and if I want to transfer someone, they also hear it when I press transfer.
What I want to know is if it is possible to make the transfer music different from the regular on hold music.
If so, would it be possible to not be a continuous loop but instead just a message that plays from the beginning each time?
Thank you

No and No. Transfer and hold is the same thing (it goes on hold pending transfer) and it always loops. With the ability to connect 100's of trunks, playing from a fixed point for each call would mean a dedicated MOH channel for each call and that would take a lot of system resources to accomplish :)

Figured it would be a long shot.
Thank you for the answer!

There is the WAV restart option but I believe that is only for server edition? "WAV (restart): Identical to WAV except that for each new listener, the file plays from the beginning.
Not supported on IP500 V2 systems. Cannot be used as a centralized source."

amriddle is most likely right but you could play with it a bit since you have 4 sources for hold music and it can be controlled by the ICR as well as the groups (and change depending on which group it goes to). I suspect whatever the hold music was will also be the transfer music though and it won't change until it gets to the next group. And it sounds like if you set it in the IVR it won't change even after going to another group. But it should change if routed to another system. Sometime I want to play with it and see if there is a way to trick it--but probably there isn't :)

"The system can support up to 4 music on hold sources; the System Source (either an internal file or the external source port or tones) plus up to 3 additional internal wav files, see System | Telephony | Tones & Music. Before reaching a hunt group, the source used is set by the system wide setting or by the Incoming Call Route that routed the call. If the system has several hold music sources available, this field allows selection of the source to associate with calls presented to this hunt group or to leave it unchanged. The new source selection will then apply even if the call is forwarded or transferred out of the hunt group unless changed again by another hunt group. If the call is routed to another system in a multi-site network, the matching source on that system (System Source or Alternate Sources 2 to 4) is used if available.

Might be too much work but I suppose if you set up shortcodes that pointed to vm pro actions with a transfer and your message audio file you could transfer to the code (such as #Extn) and it would play the message on its way to the extension.

If you have vm pro you could probably do what you originally wanted too. use a shortcode for the extensions using wildcards and go to vm pro actions (use $key wherever possible) and use an assisted transfer action with moh different from what you had on the originating group.

but people calling in the same number would hear the same MoH regardless if they are on hold or transferred.
Same issue again.
amriddle is right, darn he is right again, that has to stop :)

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

Hmm...just FYI...I do have server edition
Just to maybe give you guys the bigger scope...
A while back I had posted about getting the legal announcement ("your call may be recorded") to play on all sales' direct numbers.
At this point there are 3 situations that can happen:
1. Customer calls main # - There is a legal announcement built into the auto attendant so that is covered
2. Customer calls sales person's direct number and gets voicemail... they can 0/2/3 out (DMTF) and reach our customer service or tech support - I have it setup in VM Pro that it will play the legal greeting before sending the call to those groups so that is covered
3. If a customer is transferred to our customer service group by a sales person - this is where I can't figure out how to get them to hear the legal announcement. I thought if when the transfer button was pressed, they could hear that legal announcement but doesnt seem like it. We dont do blind transfers so they can't just send the call to them without giving them a heads up first...so #2 here wouldnt work since the sales person would hear the announcement instead of the customer.

Seems like could do the message as a prompt connected to a vm pro transfer action . . . Just come up with a shortcode to transfer to that sends to vm pro transfer action with an audio prompt on a transfer action to customer service

There could be other ways too. I assume you don't want VM Pro to do the auto warning? I think it plays anytime recording is about to start so I think it would play when a call hits the group--if the group was set to record all calls.

(I'm not a lawyer so this is not legal advice but I believe for some court things the warning has to be on the recording too)

The problem would be that the transfer would be a blind transfer wouldn't it?
Typically if a sales person transfers someone to customer service, they will speak with them first to let them know who it is and what not.
If i did this, they would have to transfer them without talking to customer service first right?

Yes they wouldn't be able to speak with them first.

Then I'd recommend turning on play advice on call recording (you can probably get at the audio file to modify it if desired) and set your customer service group to record calls (internal and external if needed). When I tested the caller stays on hold while customer service talks with sales and then the message plays (for both parties) when the transfer is complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back