Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Music on Hold stopped working after storm and trunk card replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

puttwill

Vendor
Aug 19, 2012
US
The office who's Nortel Mics system I service had a major storm come through. It took out several pieces of equipment even though everything had surge protection. It killed lines on both trunk cards. I replaced both and the phones are fine now. The MOH still doesn't work. There originally wasn't sound coming from the source. We worked with that vendor and got it to output sound. They have a built in speaker to test sound(and that works) and I used my wand to verify sound going into the Amphenol connation. If I do a f86 I can BARELY hear the the MOH if I turn the volume to max. I verified that call handling - on hold: is set to music. I'm not sure what else I can try. Could the MOH port just be blown? any way to fix that with out a new system? Thanks

Thanks for any help.

I'm guessing that you have checked that the Norstar music on hold is set for AUX output?.

Having said that, I recall that your only other options were tones?.

You could check the Amphenol connectors are fully seated OK. I've known the CICS to give me issues with a loose circuit board that houses the krone strips.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

Firebird Scrambler, I did not check for the Nortel to be set to aux output. I can't find anything about this with Google search or tek tip search. Do you have a link to how check that? Thanks

Phoneguy427,
I tried flipping the pair but still no luck ); thanks.

-Make sure that part of programming did not get changed from "Music" to "silence"
-Test with a toner on the MOH port and test both Background Music and Music on Hold.
-Make sure the MOH output on the source is set to 600ohms if it has.

None repairable but insurance might cover that.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

I bought a new(to me) MICS system. I transferred the cards and amphenol cables to the "new" system, made sure the MOH and background music were both set on, and still got no MOH or background music. made sure there was still music coming from the source with me wand.

I doubt any one has any more ideas here but figured I'd see if any one had some. My 2 theories at this point is I have a 2nd system with a blown MOH port or that the wiring some how got burnt up.

My next steps unless someone has a better idea is buy or make an amphenol break out box and test that way. might have to replace the amphenol run which would be a huge pain. Thanks.

Probe?
Forget that, use your test set right on the pair, you maybe getting music only on a half a pair.

Again:
-Test with a toner on the MOH port and test both Background Music and Music on Hold.

Also try another AMP cable.
To test the amp cable put a toner on the raw/terminated end and problem the 2 pins carefully to make sure each are loud and clear.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back