Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MUSIC IN E-MAILS?????? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

booboo0912

Programmer
Jul 31, 2002
US
Can anyone tell me how to create an e-mail, that when the recipient opens the e-mail, music plays. Someone had responded to my previous post, about creating an HTML page, but I'm trying to find out if there's an easier way of doing this (for a non-html savvy person).

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

I have done this in Outlook Express. To do this you open up your new e-mail message. Go to Format on the menu bar, then Background and add sound file. Then you can choose which file you wish to be played when the message is received.

Easy enough in Outlook Express. But what about Outlook. It doesn't offer the same feature.

THANK YOU RNOLE!!! After much research, I checked the Microsoft web page and found exactly what you recommended (I came back to post the answer and discovered you had responded! patience patience patience =). Unfortunately, this feature is only offered in Outlook Express, like VHaggar said. But I discovered I had MS Outlook and Outlook Express on my computer, so I was able to create the e-mail.
Thanks to you both for your responses!
BooBoo

Well, you can do Format themes. It puts in the html code for you.

Or you can go to view>toolbars>webtools. You can have a background sound clip. Not sure if this is the same as outlook express. This is in outlook xp. Should be similiar to outlook 2000.

On the Web Tools toolbar, click Sound .
In the Sound box, enter the path or Web address of the sound file you want, or click Browse to locate the file.
In the Loop box, enter the number of times you want the background sound to repeat.
Notes

To turn off a background sound while you are authoring a Web page, switch to Design mode. To turn on a background sound, exit Design mode.
For others to hear background sound, they must have a sound card installed on their computers and their Web browser must support the sound format of the file you inserted. You can insert sound files in WAV, MID, AU, AIF, RMI, SND, and MP2 (MPEG audio) formats.
The background sound plays automatically every time your page is opened or returned to. To prevent repetition, insert a hyperlink that the user can click to download the sound file.
When selecting Infinite for a looping option, keep in mind there is no way to stop the sound when viewing the page in a Web browser.

This is all I have found for outlook xp. Which version of outlook are you running?

Thanks.

PERFECT!! An easy solution. Thanks for taking the time to look at the issue. I have Windows 2000 with Office XP; however, it states it is Outlook 2002.

FYI.......

Office XP = Office 2002 *Remember.......
If you don't use your head,
your going to have to use your feet.

Those file types are pretty big. I'd hate to be the recepient of any such mail. Btw...you're out of luck with AOL.

Rnole says:

Go to Format on the menu bar, then Background

My Background is greyed-out, is it an option I failed to load when installing Office 2000?

Did you click on the blank space of the new e-mail? Mine was blacked out too until I clicked into the blank space of the e-mail to add something and then background was available.

Victoria

Thanks VHaggar...making progress.

Background shows up doing what you suggested

Backgroung leads to Picture or Color only.

Is sound a category I'm missing or does one add a sound file in lieu of a picture file?

Are you trying to insert a wav file or just have background music play?

Actually I'd like to try background music not as an everyday thing mind you, but just to try.

By "inserting a .wav" do you mean something different than a normal attachment?

If you go to view toolbars and then webtools. Click on the icon that says sound when you scroll over it. You can then choose the wav file and decide how it plays ie infinite, loop 1,2 etc. Not sure if this is what you were looking for or not.

Don't see the sound icon...must be because I don't have MS Office Sounds installed on my system?

no, if you scroll over them with your mouse it will tell you what it is. I don't have office sounds installed on mine either. What icons do you have?

i don't know if you've tried it before but incredimail is a great email client for those kind of things. matter of fact the new version is set-up for that already and has many of sound bites to add to your emails. it is freeware, if you haven't tried it you need to, its pretty neat. "Jack of all trades. Master of none."

The icon has a paper with a little speaker on it. You are using outlook xp right. If you aren't then there may be a different way to do this. I am just telling you for the office xp version. You will have to be inside the body of the email for these icons not to be greyed out.

I am using w2k and just don't see the appropriate icon.
I'll try xp on another machine.

Thanks all!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back