Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MUSIC BEING PICKED UP ON BCM50 INTERNAL ANALOG PORTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

TWISTEDAPP

Technical User
Dec 17, 2006
CA
I have an installation with a (70 ft.)cable between 2 buildings. I originally set it up using the internal ATA as it provided Caller Line ID to the single phones in the residence building. The problem is that AM radio is coming through on the line. I switched to an external ATA and that solved the problem, but of course no caller ID. Shouldn't really make any difference. I've tried specifying the programming as both on site and off site for the ATA's with no difference and have tried other pairs with the same results? The cables were not run by me but they are raw with no protection/carbons etc. Any direction or ideas would be appreciated.

Where is the AM radio coming from??? Why is your ATA picking it up?? What kind of system?

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

It's a BCM50 and the radio broadcast tower is close by.

Since this is a new port did you check to make sure that Caller ID is setup on that port???

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

Consider it a bonus feature! Music On Hold (and off hold) without needing to supply a music source.

Unfortunately, there is not a lot that can be done with this problem, except maybe trying a different route for the wires. Your wire is acting as an antenna picking up the broadcast signal. Varying the cable length (add an extra 10-20 ft)or re-positioning the route the cable takes may help -- just like moving the ariel on radio.

We have a similar situation in one of our buildings where people can hear a local radio station on handsets of digital sets (M2616 Meridian). This only impacts people on one corner of the floor. In one office, we were able to improve it by putting the metal filing cabinets in front of the window (direction of the transmitter).

==================================
<INSERT SIGNATURE HERE>

Also check the GRD on the main unit.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

Re-run the cable using Shielded Cat3 or Cat5 and also ground out any unused pairs.

look up sandman he has filters that can fix radio frequency problems

I had this same issue 2 weeks ago after adding a PRI to a BCM 50 that had CO lnes initially. I removed dedicated pots lines for faxing and analog devices. I then dished out analog from the BCM for faxing. I got AM radio on the fax line, and all other analog devices. It drove me nuts, and I called Verizon to test. The smart jack looped perfectly, but I still questioned them. I noticed an odd light on the smartjack that Ihad never seen lit. Verizon came out and discovered a faulty card in the smartjack. The remote engineers saw no issue, but the onsite tech replaced the card and the music was gone!!

Appreciate the feedback on this guys! The real peculiar aspect was that the music was only picked up on the ata circuits fed off of the IATA's in the BCM50. When I substituted the ATA2 units music was not picked up but of course call display was forfeited. I've used filters years ago but would be curious as to where to obtain them or thinking that they were just capacitors what value would they need to be or the formula to calculate the value based on the AM frequency.

This was my exact scenario also. Verizon replaced the smart jack card and it was fixed. I kept the IATA and the only thing chaged was the smartjack card. My issue was only on the Analog stations. Totally solved now. Call your provider and have them come out.

This problem is on analog co's not a PRI? So filters maybe necessary, but I don't know why it affects internal ATA's only and not external ATA2's? Comments? Ideas? Solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back