Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiuser

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashishjain

Programmer
Feb 20, 2002
IN
hi,
I have to convert a single user VB/Acess application into multiuser. Anybody could tell me which all points i will have to consider and what all things i will have to implement to achieve this.

Thanx & Regards,

Ashish Jain

You may need to consider a different back end (?SQL) if you will have more than 2 or 3 users, as Access isn't really intended as true multiuser

What i heart is that.....MS Access support 10 simultaneos users. so i don't want to go for Sql Server. Is it not possible to make mutiuser system in MS Access?

I have created a multi-user application us Access as the back end. We had about 12 people connected (most of the times less) and we had A LOT of trouble with locking and the whole JET SYSTEM. We are currently in the process of migrating to SQL server. We have had NO problems whatsoever with locking on the parts that we have migrated (the mission critical parts). I wouldn't go by Microsofts documentation of 10 people... becuase there are so many limitations on jet. Get the whitepapers from Microsoft on jet to fully understand how a multi-user environment works with access...

My reccommendation is to use SQL Server if you have, like johnwm said, over 2 to 3 users.

With MSAccess there are a couple of considerations you have not stated.

1. Are you using a VB front end or using MSAccess forms?
2. Is this going to be a transaction system or an Archive system?
3. Number of Users?
4. Environment.

If you are using MSAccess forms check out replication (you can also use replication with a vb front end but its a PAIN).

If you are using a VB front end then you must make sure that you close your recordsets and database connections when not in use ESPECIALLY if you are not using replication.

Also if you are using a VB front end you may want to learn DAO. DAO is closer to the native interface over ADO and will give you more control over the access database. With DAO you will be able to automate several functions like compacting and repairing the database.

If this is going to be a transaction system with any kind of volume GO DIRECTLY TO SQL, DO NOT PASS GO!!!

As mentioned in previous posts if you are going to have several people using this system you might want to think about a better DBMS.

I have worked on an access based system that used replication that has about 20 people working with the system at any given time and all I can say is that I am glad that they had a reliable backup system.

hi bjd4jc & vb5prgrmr ,
Thanx for your Detailed response.
Details about system are written below:
1. I have to migrate single user "Inventory" application into multiuser application in Windows NT environment and system has written in Visual Basic as front End and Ms Access as Back End .

2. I can't move hole system into Sql-Server because existing system's code doesn't allow. Otherwise i will have to write hole application again.

3. This multiuser application atleast support 10 simultaneos user.

I need help in following points:

Lets assume two user working in the same form simultaneosly.

1. if one user issues a item then how will i refresh the item list for other user.

2. If one user deletes a item then how others would know about it or how the forms of the other user would refresh.

3. What should i use for database connection? DSN or Provider.

4. Would i have to install package in all the workstation and would database reside on the server? or any other work around.

Regards,

Ashish Jain

1. You would have to use the refresh or requery method probably with some kind of timer event capturing current record so you can move your cursor to the correct record.

2. See #1 with moving your cursor to the correct record by using the unique id of the record.

3. What ever you feel comfortable with

4. Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back