Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiuser problems.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2003
US
I have created a database that is shared by 3 different users and it is located on a network drive that can be accessed by any one of us 3 at any time. However, whenever one person has the database opened, the other 2 people have no access to it. Anyone have any ideas of how the other 2 people can at least read the database while another person is modifying it? thanks for the help!

Hello,

Is it possible that the users are opening the database 'exclusively', i.e. so they can be the only user using the database at this particular tim - this is done by File > Open Database then clicking the Exclusive check box before clicking open?

Regards,
John

I would set up user level security to handle this issue. Here is an explination.

1. Set up a mdw file for your db. Use the help instructions in Access for a Workgroup file.

2. After you create the new mdw make sure to rejoin the system.mdw file for your copy of access.

3. Create a shortcut in the target line you will need to fix the sytax. Here is a copyu of one of mine.
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" V:\Puball\UM\Discharg.mdb/wrkgrp V:\Puball\Um\Discharg.mdw

V is the network drive. DOn't go lower than two folder levels. I had trouble and that was an issue.

The shortcut launches access then your db and the associated workgroup.

Once you get the shortcut working. Go into tools, security, user and group accounts. Add you users. Then distribute the shortcut. Make sure to have a working copy of the shortcut on the network so you can retrive it for distribution.

I answred some other questions on this topic on thread 181-355840.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Danny

I know this sounds crazy and defies logic, but try this.

Go to TOOLS \ OPTIONS \ ADVANCED
Select EXCLUSIVE and ALL RECORDS

Do this on each user.

Thomas Bailey
tbailey@datjc.com

hey i appreciate all of the help....I finally got it figured out with the help of your comments, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back