Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MultiUser Forms in Access 97 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 9, 2001
GB
I have created a Q&A Search Form in Access 97 (its a lot like the Windows Explorer Search screen). It was built to sit on the users PC and delete and append into temporary tables.

Now it is required to sit on an NT server and be accessed by many different users. In effect it has to become multi user.

I have tried putting a text file on the root of the C:\ and linking to it but I cannot run a delete query on a linked text file.

Any ideas on how to get around this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thom

Hallo,

You have several options, create tables (with unique names) on the server 'on the fly', link to an mdb on the local users machine, or use a single table on the server, but add an additional field, one for each user.
If your network is super speedy then I suggest the last option, unless the structure of the user-specific data is hellish. Otherwise, having some data stored locally on users machines is probably the best bet, although will take some management...

- Frink

Thanks Frink,

I have been experimanting with creating tables on the fly (with the tbl name = date (ddmmyyyyhhnnss)) and think I'll go with that.

Thanks for your advice,

Thom.

Hallo again,

You might want to include the users name as part of the table to ensure uniqueness, or allocate a unique table number based on an autonumber field in a separate table.
I'd go with the latter.

- Frink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back