Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

multiuser db

Status
Not open for further replies.

vlad123

Programmer
Jun 22, 2005
DE
Hi,
I have an application with a SQL server database and using VBA, also some temporary tables in Access. I need to make it working for being used by more than one user in the same time.My boss wants to have the entire database on a network server and everyone shares the data and uses the same forms, reports, queries, macros, and modules.
Is there something particular that I have to setup to allow more than one user to use the database at the same time? what I should modify?
how can I resolve the problem with these temporary tables?to block them when one user is working with them?

Can you do it so that Access is only the user interface and all of the real work is done inside SQL Server?

This application is not made by me.these temporary tables are for some queries in Access.the only possibility its to change this?

the work involved will depend on how the tables are used.

You mentioned temporary tables... so think on the following.

When one user is running a query, and hence using one of the temporary tables you mentioned, can another user use the same query? and would they like to do it?

Another issue... at the moment your mdb are per user (i assume), which means that their size will grow up to a point.

If you now place these on a network, with more users, will this cause the MDB to reach it's maximum size (2GB)? if so you can not use that setup.

The above is just problems you may encounter due to database design.

Regarding the original question of multiuser access to the database, your best bet will be to look at the following link.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back