Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multithreaded Application Crashed IIS HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbpierce

Technical User
Mar 22, 2001
US
We have developed a multithreaded VB application that we want to call from and ASP page. By itself the VB application works great. When we call it from an ASP page it crashes IIS and we cannot figure out why. Any help, guidance or input would be greatly appreciated.

Mary Pierce

Hi, you should post your code so we can take a look at it to see what's wrong...

;-)
Have Fun...

Sharky99 >:):O>

Is this a VB App that runs on a client PC, or is it housed on the IIS server? If the ASP is triggering this to run on a client PC, I'd be interested to find out how you did it.

Rich

Our VB app is housed on the IIS server? Sharky99 suggested we post our code so some of you experts can look it over. Well, its a lot of code. I'm not sure which part is the part you should see. As I mentioned before the VB application works great by itself.

We have developed a VB multithreaded ActiveX DLL which is being called in the ASP page. The sytax used for calling the DLL from the ASP page is:

SET X = SERVER.CREATEOBJECT(PROJECTNAME.CLASSNAME)
X.FUNCTIONNAME

where functionname is the VB DLL function being called.

Thanks
Mary

Do you have any error handling in your ASP page? A practice that we follow with respect to error handling is to put a check on Err.Number after any call to instantiate an object (Server.CreateObject) and any calls to methods or functions within the objects. So your ASP code could be modified as such:

SET X = SERVER.CREATEOBJECT(PROJECTNAME.CLASSNAME)
If Err.Number <> 0 Then
Response.Write &quot;Error in CLASSNAME instantiation.&quot;
Response.Write Err.Number & Err.Description
Response.End
End If

X.FUNCTIONNAME
If Err.Number <> 0 Then
Response.Write &quot;Error in FUNCTIONNAME.&quot;
Response.Write Err.Number & Err.Description
Response.End
End If

Be sure to add ON ERROR RESUME NEXT to the top of the ASP page. Any errors that are raised by your DLL will bubble up the ASP page and be displayed. This may not solve your problem, but it may help to diagnose where it is originating.

I hope this helps.
Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back