Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MultiSite Phone System over Wireless Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

emirpia

IS-IT--Management
Feb 20, 2003
US
Ok folks, opinions needed please.

Site A & Site B about 300' with line of sight.
Will use a wireless bridge (RadioLan 802.11g)for data.
We have looked at a few phone systems and still not sure about the reliability of wireless bridge for voice.
Have heard good & bad.

Presently have a Partner ACS 3.0 using 8 CO lines, 34D system phones & 9031 TransTalks in Bldg A

(Half personnel are moving to Bldg B & TransTalks or equivalent are a must!)

Bldg B - need phone system.

Here is what we have researched:

Avaya IP Office
Comdial
Artisoft
Intertel

MultiTech VOIP or Centrex or both? (If we install another Partner system in bldg B)

Any thoughts on the above?
Thanks in advance!

Your best bet would probably be to stay away from the LAN bridge if possible. I know how QoS with IP packets are handled inside the building but usually we're talking 100Mbps. Maybe someone else out there has tried this before and can let you know the losses or clipping of voice over Wireless Bridges but seems there would be some if you are at 11Mb or less.
You may want to look at the LOS laser systems that emulate a T-1 and use the T-1 to tie together two systems. If the systems support T-1 direct just emulate TIE trunks and don't bust them down to FXO's and FXS's.
Hope this helps. Jerry Pannell
techs@sclb.com

emirpia,
Have done similar using Norstar as follows: Wylan giga frequency bridge (lower end product for the shorter distance), MCK 6000 extender and gateway. MCK voice quality is really good. There is a delay but neither voice party can hear it. It only becomes really apparrant when the remote site pages itself. The paging loop follows the page key, then the KSU dials an extention, goes back through the MCK to an analog adapter then to a bogen TAMB then to the paging amp. Works well. And to answer your post clearly, there is no clipping.

PhM

Is there any way to bury cable between the two and just use a sinlgle phone system ?

I think it would work out better in the longrun to bury 100 pair or so

you could bury interduct at the same time and pull fiber to connect the two

I run a Cisco IP phone system over a Cisco Aironet 350 802.11b Wireless Bridge with about six phones at the remote end. They don't have any problems with voice quality at all.

We went wireless on an BIA phone system in Montana that was about 300' line of sight.
We were a Nortel dealer and used a Norstar Key System with Baystack equipment for data.
It worked very well and we had no trouble while I was there.
I am sorry but I don't remember the manufacturer of the radio equipment but everything worked well over it.
I will do some research and get back with you on that.

With most systems, like Inter-Tel, you can easily network up to 64 systems with fiber optic cable or T1 lines. At my dad's work, they have 2 buildings right next to each other and they are connected by a fiber optic cable (Inter-Tel AXXESS version 7.0) jeff moss
jeffmoss26@adelphia.net

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Very much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back