Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiprocessing With NT (adding second processor) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadDog

MIS
Aug 19, 1999
US
I just installed a second xeon processor in an ALR 7300 server and don't know if I need to change any configuration settings to get it to work, or if it is a function of the operating system. I don't see anything in the System Bios (except whether I should use protocol 1.1 or 1.4 for Multiprocessing). It seems like it is not recognizing the second processor from the very start. The system seems to jump right over to the second processor and goes from there. NT only shows one processor on the blue boot screen. I switched processors around and they both work in slot #1. I installed the VRM with the second processor. Any ideas what I am doing wrong (or not doing at all)? Thanks. JSR

If your Bios recognizes it then the issue lies with the OS.<br>
There are several MS KB articles that describe procedures on how to upgrade from single to multiprocessor.<br>
Article Q156358 is a good article. I think there is a resource kit tool as well that helps with this process.<br>
<br>
One worthy note, you need to find out whether your server requires a specific HAL from the manufacturer or whether you can use on of the standard HALs include with NT.<br>
<br>
<br>
dxd

Thanks for the response dxd. I don't think the Bios is recognizing the second cpu. If it isn't recognizing it what should I do? Do I need to do something in the bios, because I don't see anything that looks like it relates to multiprocessing in the bios. Thanks. JSR

All I can tell you is my experience with Compaq servers. The processors are identified in the Bios and configuration utility and their initialization is displayed at POST.<br>
<br>
Are there any diagnostics utilities provided with this Box?<br>
In this day and age, I would not think there would be switch settings or jumpers you would have to manipulate on the motherboard..although I may be mistaken.<br>
<br>
ALR has a pretty good web site full of info...a quick browse showed several articles concerning the issue you are talking about here.<br>
<br>
check it out.

If you go in &quot;Performance Monitor&quot; you should see both Processors listed and you can put each one on a graph and see their usage. <p> DougP<br><a href=mailto: dposton@universal1.com> dposton@universal1.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I had a right old song and dance when I did this with a Dell Workstation. Their is utility avaiable which updates the HAL (but didn't work) and Dell were most reluctant to tell me about it. <br>
<br>
The Bios recognised the 2nd CPU but unless you see 2 microprocessor(s) mentioned when NT is booting up at the blue screen then they aren't installed.<br>
<br>
I wound up doing a complete reinstallation.

Yes, I assume you are referring to UPTOMP.EXE as the utitility for upgrading. I finally found some info on this at the Gateway site. I think I am going to start from scratch rather than trying to upgrade the existing configuration. I haven't set the box up yet so it wont be that big of deal as far as losing any work. I still am not quite sure if the Bios is seeing the second processor, or how to check to see if it is. ANY IDEAS OR TIPS ON THIS? I am sure the OS is not seeing the second processor.

Actually, if you re-apply Service Pack 4, instead of re-installing, it should recognize the second processor.<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back