Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple windows on Excel 97 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

luisillo

Technical User
May 26, 2003
US
Hi there!
I'm new here. I got this problem with Excel 97: I want to open multiple workbooks on the taskbar. I know how to do this on Office 2000 but I don't know how to do it on Office 97. It will be great if you help me with this.
Thank you.

Hi luisillo,

'97 and 2000 work differently. In '97 an instance of Excel presents only once on the taskbar regardless of how many workbooks are open. To have separate workbooks show separately you need to open each in a separate instance of Excel. Is there a particular reason you want this? There may be another way round your problem.

Enjoy,
Tony

Thanx a lot Tony!!
The reason is that I give technical support at work 'n some users prefer this way to work with Excel.
I was thinking that it would be something similar in both Office versions.
Anyway, this was pretty kind.
C U man

Tony,

Congratulations on being Tipmaster of the Week! Do you know how to get RID of the multiple workbooks on the taskbar in 2000--I find it extremely irritating to have six little Excel icons down there, along with five in Word, and more in other applications. Is there a way to revert back just to one icon per application? Sometimes "progress" isn't!

-LB

Hi LB,

Thanks, I consider myself a student rather than a teacher but the honour is nice.

No, I'm afraid I don't know how to get rid of the ever-so-annoying clutter on the taskbar. Although I've had Word 2000 for some time I've only recently upgraded Excel and Access and, like you, find it very irritating. Access seems the worst of the lot - one per open table, one per query, etc.

If I find a way, I'll post it for all to see.

Enjoy,
Tony

Re: Excel 2000 - getting rid of extra windows:

Tools -> Options -> View tab -> UNcheck "Windows in taskbar"

Thank you!!! A star for all the future annoyance you have saved me. The same option to eliminate individual windows is available in Word, too!

-LB

Umm - well, the option is there in Word, but it doesn't work in Word 2000 (Microsoft known issue having to something with MDIs and forms or something like that). There are 3rd party utilities available to do it for real though.

kcwong1,

Excellent, Works in Access 2000 too, thankyou.

Have another star.

Enjoy,
Tony

I incorrectly referenced Word 2000--what I have is Office XP 2002--and I was able to turn off the multiple windows in both Excel and Word.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back