Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple web servers from one IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

hd2

Technical User
Sep 1, 2002
CA
Hello.

For years, I have been hosting about 24 web sites off an IIS NT4 (then later 2K server) machine on my cable connection, using simple host headers to allow multiple web sites from one IP.

Now, I have the opportunity to move my web server to a much faster, dedicated connection in downtown Toronto.
The problem is, there is already one web server at the Toronto location, and they only have 1 IP address.

I have installed RedHat 7.3 on another machine here, in the hopes that I could use it as a kind of 're-director' (for lack of a better word), that would look at the web page requests coming in, then direct the request to either 192.168.0.1 (server 1), or 192.168.0.2 (Server 2) depending on the web page address requested.

Thanks for any help or hints in the right direction.

Take care

Do you have a domain name(s)? there is something called No-Ip to stick a Ip to a (sub)domain if you can install router software on your linux-computer and set for example port 80 to server1 and port 8080 to server 2
you have to include the portadress in the Ip maybe you can get your yourdomain.com setted to 192.168.0.2

it seems that you already installed something like a router (the 192.168.***.*** address) ,(if you setted those servers to obtain automaticly a IP)

It is also possible to install another webserver on that computer and based on the refferer you can write a script that redirect it to the other servers

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I'm playing with Apache on the Linux box right now, hoping that I might be able to use the Virtual Host options in it to forward traffic to the correct servers on the sub-net.

Thanks again.
Take care :)

Here's an image that might help explain what I mean a bit better:

A user on the web requests which resolves to 24.150.231.125

The linux box looks at the incoming request, sees that the user wants knowes that is hosted on server 2, so it directs th request to 192.168.0.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back