Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple VPN connection issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

nell1

Technical User
Jan 8, 2003
GB
Hi all, hope someone can lend a bit of help on this one.

Setup is this. Win 2003 Server acting as VPN server behind Netgear DG834G router/modem. Clients connecting via Win XP Pro, SP1 over ADSL.

I have successfully managed to connect 2 seperate users to the server via a VPN connection. However they cannot connect simultaneously. When 1 user connects and another tries, the user gets to the 'registering computer on network' stage then it disconnects with message 'TCP/IP CP Reported Error 736. The remote computer terminated the control protocol'.

I have had a look at the event viewer log files on the server and get the following; 'The user COMP1/USER1 connected to port VPN 3-217 has been disconnected because no protocols were successfully negociated'.

Is this a limitation of the router in front of the server not being able to pass more than one simultanious connection through or an error in the RAS setup? Bit stumped as to where the fault lies and how to approach getting round it.

Any help/advice anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Nell1

Hi Matt,

Thanks for reply. Have checked the VPN ports on server;

PPTP = 100
L2TP = 128
PPOE = 1
Direct Parallel = 1

Using PPTP so shoul have more than enough for 2 users to connect.. should'nt I?

Thanks again.

Nell

Thanks for the link Matt. Some clues with regard to IP assignment/addressing. Think i will have to brush up on the IP assignment side of things when a remote client connects and try and eliminate that first.

Again thanks for the pointer!

Nell

I have a similar setup using a LinkSys befsr81 and I have sucessfully connected 2 users at the same time through the vpn pass through, however I have read and heard that some routers do have difficulty maintaining more then one PPTP passthrough at one time. I was actually thinking of upgrading my linksys to a netgear fr328s for the firewall and improved throughput but your post has me wondering if it will be able to handle the passthrough. You might want to try the linksys router.

Hi all,

Thanks for your input steveebinger!

I have emailed netgear support for clarification on the multiple VPN passthrough capabilities of the router. Would seem sensible to get a definitive answer from them before I turn to alcohol. Have checked IP addressing etc.. on server and all seems to be in order. I think the next stage will be to go for another modem/router that definately can handle multiple VPN passthrough.

Will let you know how I get on.

Regards,

Nell

I struggled with multiple connections for weeks, wound up using Wingate VPN from Qbik, have 5 networks connected simultaneously 24/7 we have a self help group here

my suspicion is that the netgear will only support one vpn tunnel at a time, i know someone who had a similar problem with the linksys befsr41, and the literature on the linksys said it only supported one tunnel. I couldn't find any info from netgear on how many tunnels the model you have supports. Hope this helps

getting some progress. Have not heard back from Netgear, however have heard from other users of the same router who have multiple tunnels running

Think i will have to look at my VPN server setup more. Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again for all suggestions/input so far!

Nell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back