Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple versions of Modified report

Status
Not open for further replies.

timroop

IS-IT--Management
Dec 20, 2004
US
Maybe it is the way we were taught but I don't know this. Is it possible to have more than one version of a modified report? We have a modified SUTA report that has no SSNs. We also have a need for a simple line item report that has no headers or footers.

Basically I need to know if it is possible to have two different modified reports on the same system.

Thanks.

Tim Roop
"If you can do something about it, why waste time getting upset? If you can't do anything about it, why bother getting upset on top of it? -Shantideva

You can only have one version of a modified report as a primary copy. Primary copies can be swapped with the original using security.

You can create secondary copies and run them from custom reports as long as no temporary tables are used.

The only other method is to have a second reports.dic and a separate Dynamics.set to point to it. This can become hard to maintain.

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Escalation Engineer - Microsoft Dynamics GP
Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific

Microsoft Dynamics (formerly Microsoft Business Solutions)

Any views contained within are my personal views and not necessarily Microsoft policy.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

winthropdc:

Thank you for the reply. I do understand how to enable/diable the primary modified report using security. We would like to switch between two different modified reports.

Could you please elaborate on how to "create secondary copies and run them from custom reports"?

Thank you.

Tim Roop
"If you can do something about it, why waste time getting upset? If you can't do anything about it, why bother getting upset on top of it? -Shantideva

1) make a copy of your Dynamics.set and give it a different name

2) Edit that new file and change the name of the report.dic file

3) Then launch Dynamics using that new ".set" file.

You will then have a new ".dic" file.

Example of the ".set" file

Microsoft Dynamics GP
Windows
:C:DYNAMICSGP/Dynamics.dic
:C:DYNAMICSGP/Data/FORMS.DIC
:C:DYNAMICSGP/Data/WSI.DIC

Let me know if that make sens.

To make a duplicate use the copy or duplicate buttons in the report writer. Only available if there are no temporary tables on the report.

Then they can be accessed from Reports >> Custom Reports. However, you will not have any report options available and no legends, indexes, or restrictions will be passed to the report. This means the report will probably not come out like you expect.

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Escalation Engineer - Microsoft Dynamics GP
Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific

Microsoft Dynamics (formerly Microsoft Business Solutions)

Any views contained within are my personal views and not necessarily Microsoft policy.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

While not exactly what I was hoping to hear, We'll look into those options. Thank you.

Tim Roop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back