Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Versions of IE

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyrant1969

Programmer
Dec 13, 2004
US
I need to be able to run multiple versions of IE on a single PC.

I have found the IE Collection software from Utilu - - that allows me to install several versions.

However, I need to make one of those alternate versions the default browser on this particular device.

I need to have both IE6 and IE7 installed side by side, with IE6 in the usual c:\program files\internet explorer\ directory and IE7 in its Utilu IE Collection directory.

This is because I have a vendor supported SSO wrapper that calls for IE6 to be used and seems to have the path to IE6 hard coded into it.

BUT I want my users of this device to be able to take advantage of the "benefits" of IE7. Please Note - I cannot go to IE8 or above due to incompatibilities with yet another vendor product.

So - IE6 installed in the normal location, IE7 installed in its custom location, but when I click a link in an email, I want it to call IE7 in the custom spot, not IE6 in the normal - thoughts?

I use Virtual PC for just this reason - I can choose which my default browser is, and still test in the others.

Microsoft has released free images of Windows XP with the various browsers for this purpose:

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch:
Code Couch Snippets & Info:
The Out Atheism Campaign

Dan - good idea and that would work for myself and members of my team, but not for our nursing staff and doctors.

I'll keep searching and see if anyone else out there has done anything like this.

Thanks.

Roger

Sounds like a nightmare!

It should be possible to use different user profiles, each set with a different default browser, and fast user switching.

So each user has 2 profiles, where logging onto email takes them out of normal logon into email and IE7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back