Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Variable Criteria

Status
Not open for further replies.

SysDupe123

Technical User
Dec 17, 2003
US
I've got a query that I'm trying to make using anywhere from 1 to 3 criteria that are drawn from a form. The form has 3 list boxes to select various criteria: date, client no., and investor group. The user would select any combination of the three and I'm trying to get the query to output the result. I can't seem to set up the query so it will work. I can't use more than one criteria without it coming back with no records.

If I put all 3 criteria in, then I get records back.
I tried to indicate if the form field is null, then Like"*".

I've been working on this for awhile now.

Do you have an example of what you have done so far?

Have fun! :eek:)

Alex Middleton

Use the first option in a list box to indicate that any value is acceptable, in other words that field should not affect the rows selected. The first option might have a value such as "na", "", " ", or zero, whatever.

Use a logical OR in the WHERE clause for each field. In words, if the form field equals option 1 OR the form field equals the value in the row of the table. Combine the three fields with logical AND.

For example-
Code:
WHERE
       ( [client_no_from_form] = "" OR ClientNo = [client_no_from_form] )
  AND
       ( [date_from_form] = "" OR DateOfInvestment = [date_from_form] )
  AND
       ( [group_from_form] = "" OR InvestorGroup = [group_from_form] )

I've had success using the default value of "*" for controls. This way you're not dependant on the user selecting a value in each field.

Teri [pc3]
Good decisions come from Wisdom...
Wisdom comes from experience...
Experience comes from bad decisions

Thanks everyone!
I ended up using multiple If statements, building the SQL statement with each one, then inserting it after the WHERE statement.

example:
If [Forms]![Reports]![date] <> "" Then
SQLCrit = SQLCrit & "[MasterDate] = " & Chr(35) & _
[Forms]![Reports]![date] & Chr(35)
End If

If SQLCrit <> "" And [Forms]![Reports]![Group] <> "" Then
SQLCrit = SQLCrit & " and "
End If

If [Forms]![Reports]![Group] <> "" Then
SQLCrit = SQLCrit & "[GroupCode] = " & Chr(34) & _
[Forms]![Reports]![Group] & Chr(34)
End If