Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Values in an ASP query selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 14, 2002
US
I am writing a simple query where a user can select a report based on a shift, i.e. 1,2 or 3. Now they want to be able to view all shifts in one report, i.e. someone selects "All" and it shows shifts 1, 2 and 3 for that particular date.

I have a drop down where the values are set for 1, 2 and 3 and then on my ASP page this value is carried over and queried against the DB (see below):

HTML Page:

<td width=&quot;89%&quot;><select size=&quot;1&quot; name=&quot;Shift&quot;>
<option>Please Select Shift</option>
<option value=&quot;1&quot;>1</option>
<option value=&quot;2&quot;>2</option>
<option value=&quot;3&quot;>3</option>

EQ_EVENTS.PRODUCTION_LOST = '&quot; & Request.QueryString(&quot;Shift&quot;) & &quot;'

This works fine for the individual shifts, but I am not quite sure how to transfer a value for &quot;All&quot; over to the ASP page so that it queries and finds anything during that date no matter which shift they worked. Any ideas??

Add your other option - All - and set the value of it to 1,2,3

Then amend your sql

sql=&quot;select * from tablename where shiftfield IN (&quot; & request(&quot;shift_select_box&quot;) & )&quot;

Hi,
Try changing to this:
Code:
<td width=&quot;89%&quot;><select size=&quot;1&quot; name=&quot;Shift&quot;>
        <option>Please Select Shift</option>
        <option value=&quot;All&quot;>All</option>

Test for All before setting the where clause:
Code:
If  Request.QueryString(&quot;Shift&quot;) = 'All' then
EQ_EVENTS.PRODUCTION_LOST <> &quot;&quot;
else
EQ_EVENTS.PRODUCTION_LOST = '&quot; & Request.QueryString(&quot;Shift&quot;) & &quot;'
End if
This will return all records that have a non-null value in EQ_EVENTS.PRODUCTION_LOST

Depending on your database you could do something like this: ( this is for Oracle)
Code:
If  Request.QueryString(&quot;Shift&quot;) = 'All' then
EQ_EVENTS.PRODUCTION_LOST like '%'
else
End if
For SqlServer, you can use '*' instead of the '%' , I think..

[profile]

Turkbear, I tried your suggestion, but all I get is EOF or BOF, so it does not find all rows where PRODUCTION_LOST is not null, I am sure it is a syntax issue on the Then statement that I need to manipulate, but thanks for the tip - I think it will work great!

you could make the dropbox a multiple-selection listbox, such as:

<select size=&quot;3&quot; name=&quot;Shift&quot; multiple=&quot;multiple&quot;>
</select>
<p>(Hold down the CTRL key to select more than one shift)</p>

and then use GaryC123's exact suggestion to alter your SQL WHERE clause to use an IN statement instead of comparing equivalents.

This is perfectly valid SQL:
SELECT * FROM tablename WHERE shiftfield IN (1)
which is just as valid as
SELECT * FROM tablename WHERE shiftfield IN (2,3)
and
SELECT * FROM tablename WHERE shiftfield IN (1,2,3)
etc...

this gives you even more flexibility than you originally asked for.

good luck!
-f!

Well just setting the value of All to 1,2,3 will suffice

<select size=&quot;3&quot; name=&quot;Shift&quot;>
<option value=&quot;1,2,3&quot;>All</option>
</select>

Or.....if you have the value as 'All' you can simply test for it's value and amend the sql statement accordingly.

i.e.
Code:
<select size=&quot;3&quot; name=&quot;Shift&quot;>
  <option value=&quot;All&quot;>All</option>
</select>

and....

Code:
If Request.QueryString(&quot;Shift&quot;)=&quot;All&quot; Then
 strSQL = &quot;SELECT * FROM TABLE&quot;
Else
 strSQL = &quot;SELECT * FROM TABLE WHERE EQ_EVENTS.PRODUCTION_LOST = '&quot; & Request.QueryString(&quot;Shift&quot;) & &quot;'&quot;
End If

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Need help finding an answer?

Try the search facilty ( or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

I cannot seem to get it to show all shifts using either of the methods mentioned last; I tried using &quot;1&quot; OR &quot;2&quot; OR &quot;3&quot; and that did not work either. It is almost as if I need a &quot;BETWEEN&quot; statement for it to work, i.e. BETWEEN 1 and 3

So has anyone successfully written a query statement in Oracle/ASP asking for this:

If Request.QueryString(&quot;Shift&quot;) = &quot;All&quot; then
EQ_EVENTS = &quot;Between 1 and 3&quot; (for demonstration)
else
EQ_EVENTS = Request.QueryString(&quot;Shift&quot;)
End if

So I am trying to find a way to have it choose anything that falls between the value 1 and the value 3, but if I do &quot;1,2,3&quot; it is looking for all 3 values in that field, or if I do &quot;1&quot; or &quot;2&quot; or &quot;3&quot; it will only find the last value, &quot;3&quot;.

I greatly appreciate any help on this since nothing seems to want to work....

I tried this, but it seems to &quot;run on&quot; and run my second SQL statement rather than stop after the first one....any suggestions as to what I am missing?

sql2 = &quot;SELECT SY_WO_STATUS.DESCRIPTION, EQ_EVENTS.START_TIME, EQ_EVENTS.WO_BASE, EM_EMPLOYEE.EMPLOYEE_ID, WO_WORK_ORDER.ENTERED_BY, WO_WORK_ORDER.DEPARTMENT, WO_WORK_ORDER.REQUESTOR, WO_WORK_ORDER.STATUS, WO_WORK_ORDER.ENTERED_DATE, WO_WORK_ORDER.WO_BASE, WO_WORK_ORDER.EQUIPMENT,WO_WORK_ORDER.DESCRIPTION, WO_COMMENTS.LONG_DESCRIPTION

FROM WO_WORK_ORDER, WO_COMMENTS, EM_EMPLOYEE, EQ_EVENTS, SY_WO_STATUS

WHERE WO_WORK_ORDER.STATUS = SY_WO_STATUS.CODE AND WO_WORK_ORDER.PLANT = SY_WO_STATUS.PLANT AND EQ_EVENTS.WO_BASE = WO_WORK_ORDER.WO_BASE AND EM_EMPLOYEE.EMPLOYEE_ID = WO_WORK_ORDER.ENTERED_BY AND EM_EMPLOYEE.PLANT = WO_WORK_ORDER.PLANT AND WO_WORK_ORDER.PLANT = WO_COMMENTS.PLANT AND WO_WORK_ORDER.WO_BASE = WO_COMMENTS.WO_BASE AND WO_WORK_ORDER.WO_BASE NOT LIKE 'MP%' AND WO_WORK_ORDER.ENTERED_DATE = TO_DATE('&quot; & Request.QueryString(&quot;Day&quot;) & &quot;','MM/DD/YY') AND WO_WORK_ORDER.DEPARTMENT = '&quot; & Request.QueryString(&quot;Department&quot;) & &quot;' ORDER BY EQ_EVENTS.START_TIME&quot;

If Request.QueryString(&quot;Shift&quot;) = &quot;All&quot; Then
Set objConn = Server.CreateObject(&quot;ADODB.Connection&quot;)
objConn.Open &quot;Provider=MSDAORA.1;Password=xxxxxx;User ID=xxxxx;Data Source=xxxxxxxx;Persist Security Info=True;&quot;
Set Rs = Server.CreateObject(&quot;ADODB.Recordset&quot;)
Rs.Open sql2, conn, 3, 3
objConn.Close
Else
SHIFT_VAR = Request.QueryString(&quot;Shift&quot;)
End If

Basically it is running a different SQL statement that does not discriminate the search based on Shift, so when I run this statement &quot;Alone&quot; using static data for date and department, it shows me all 3 shifts, but when I try this, it does not find anything, and I think it is because it continues to run the code after this and eventually runs the second SQL statement, finds that SHIFT = &quot;All&quot;, does not understand and fails.

I was finally able to resolve this, I set the &quot;All&quot; parameter in my second page to a wild card and it accepted it without any problems. Thanks for all your help,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back