Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple users

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobk5444

Programmer
Jan 28, 2005
US
Hello,

I'm new to MSN and my users want to create a "fairly simple, easy to use" system to replace a manual EXCEL spreadsheet VBA system they've been using for sometime.

We are thinking about using ACCESS, but i'm wondering how would we set up the system so that multiple users can access the same database?

For example, we have an ACCESS based system now and the way we use it is to go into a shared directory and select the .mdb file, but if there are multiple users, is that still a feasible approach?

And if that's the approach, can ACCESS handle multiple users trying to update the same table at the same time?

Thanks so much for any insights on this!

BobK

Yes it can. You will need front-ends (FE) for each user, with forms and so on, and a back-end (BE) for the shared directory.

We are thinking about using ACCESS, but i'm wondering how would we set up the system so that multiple users can access the same database?"

Split your Access Database into a Backend Database (BE) (Tables) and a Front End Database(FE) (Queries, Forms, Macros, Modules)

***Search the forum on how to do this in detail....

"And if that's the approach, can ACCESS handle multiple users trying to update the same table at the same time?"

Yes it can....

Thanks all, that's what i was really hoping to hear!

It looks like as soon as you step out of the ACCESS framework, things get many many times more complicated!

So if i may, now i'm wondering if i will need to download a copy of the VB6 toolset for screen development or are those sophisticated screen building tools already built into ACCESS itself?

Thanks very much again, i'm feeling better already!

BobK

Everything you need for fairly fancy forms is there. Have a look at the Northwind sample database to see the type of forms you can build. You may also like to look at the FAQs for these fora for Autonumbers and multi-user databases.
There are limitations:
[tt]Maximum database size: 2 gigabytes (GB)
Maximum concurrent users: Up to 20 concurrent editors.
Reliability: Adequate for individuals and small team usage.
Recovery from network failures cannot be rolled back.

Microsoft acknowledges that many customers exceed the “maximum concurrent users” guidelines given above. The Jet engine supports up to 255 concurrent users but the performance of the application depends on the design of the application. Proceed with caution if your application exceeds the recommended guidelines shown above.[/tt]

Thanks again! sounds perfect for what we need!

Have a real nice day all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back