Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple users using my host!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikecollett

Technical User
Sep 30, 2002
NZ
Hello - I may have just discovered how far out of my depth I am!

When I look at the Current Activity - Process Info thru enterprise manager and list the host column in order so i can see all of the stuff for my pc, I notice that there are a number of users listed against my host (pc). Some of them also have their own pcs listed as well as my one.
What gives?
All of these users are using access frontends to hook in. I checked a few and their odbc connections are under their username and password - as it should be (we dont use windows authentication).
Some of the doodats in the frontends code do use connection strings to do stuff on the server, which have my password saved in the strings (not good I know, but I have been learning as I go!) - could that be part of the problem?
does this mean that a user is somehow getting to the server via my machine? That could explain the painfully slow crawl of my pc pehaps.
Any clarification on this would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers - Mike

Depending on how you setup access to talk to the SQL Server what ever machine you use to setup the database will be the machine that SQL reports users are connecting from.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Hello and thanks for the reply!

Does that then have any effect on network traffic/speed , or is it simply an alias thing?

Could you please explain how to set access up to show the acutal host machine rather than mine - or does it not make any difference anyway??

Thanks again :)

Cheers
Mike

It doesn't have any effect on network traffic or speed. It's simply an alias.

You'd need to ask someone in the Access forums. I don't know much about access.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back