Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Users of Access DB At Same Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessedh

MIS
Apr 16, 2002
US
Does anyone know of a way to allow multiple users to use an access 2000 db at the same time (ie: create/modify reports and save them with two people having the same copy of the db open) I know this was possible with access 97, but now with 2000 I get an error message. any clues....does access 2002 solve this?

[thumbsup2]

Access 2000 should not have this problem, but I recommend using a professional concurrent-user programming tool such a MS SourceSafe, where version control is available and object check-in and check-out is done to prevent 2 users editing the same code...

In a multi-user environment, if one other person has the mdb open, you cannot save changes in A2K, no matter how simple the change may be. If you have to change a report from potrait to landscape, you cannot save changes! You could do this in 97. You can make a copy of the mdb and make changes in there, then move the new stuff in when everyone is off.
-Smack

Response to Tek-Tips Access Database question.

To have multiple users have access to the same database report and each save their own changes, the best way is to ‘split’ the database.
This puts the data (all the tables – called the backend) in one piece – preferably on the ‘server’ of a network. Then copies of the ‘Front-end ‘(queries, forms, reports and pages)can be placed on each user’s machine –
Then each user can then create and use their own copies of the reports as well as queries, pages and macros to their own desired uses and save their changes.

That is IF you want other people making changes to the front end. I know I don't! The other issue is that if you do make mod's to the front end, you have to ensure it is copied onto to everyone's hard drive - I currently have @ 100 users and would not want to have to keep up with this. It also raises the question that if everyone has custom stuff on their front end, what happens when you go to copy over the new FE to their PC, all personal stuff lost?
Samck

My users use a constant shortcut to the FE and I change what .mde file is at that location.

I wanted to have them all place the FE on their desktops but I found that invariably someone failed to update the FE as requested. Dealing with the network load was easier in our situation. (But we have only about 30 users.)

Things got easier once I had a database version number saved on each record. As records are modified, the version number is updated. Periodically I query to see which users are using the wrong FE.(As a bonus, when the data validation rules change, I know which records have not been tested under that rule set.)

We have a split database as discussed above. We use MS SQL 2000 to store the data (currently 8Gb, several million records) and an Access 2002 front end, which is stored on the server (50 users).

We wrote a VB program that checks an INI whenever it's run, which tells the program which Access front end to use. Every user then has a shortcut the EXE file. That way if we need to make changes, we make them in a dev version, copy it to the server under a different name and then change the INI file to point to the new front end.

The existing users can then still use the old version and anyone who needs the changes can simply re-open the front end. New users will also get the new front end.

This is the best work around we've found, because simply telling everyone to close the system whilst we copy over a new front end isn't an option !

Sindo
[thumbsup2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back