Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple users can't access database 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mytaurus2000

Technical User
Oct 4, 2006
US
I have a database that is split fe/be. the front end is on one server while the be is on another server. When a user opens the fe, no one else is able to access the database.

Open in share mode is selected, there is no row-level locking and I have given each user full control permissions and hid the objects in the fe/be.

Why can't multiple users access the database.

Check that all relevat users have full permissions for the folder in which the back-end resides. Each user should have a copy of the front-end.

Remou,

Long time no hear from. The be is on a server that everyone has access to.

I checked when I open there is a ldb file, but when another user clicks nothing happens. The tables aren't linked, but I imported. Would this make a difference?

Yes, each user has the ability to read write update on both servers. But when one has the database open, and another tires to open nothing happens. No error messages, nothing.

Can you explain "The tables aren't linked, but I imported"?

Where are the tables imported, rather than linked?

I created the database and then made a backup copy. I have been experimenting with thd backup copy. The fe tables are imported from the origiinal database. Should i have imported in the backend and linked the front end to those tables?

That sounds more like it. The general idea is that the front-end contains forms, reports, queries and linked tables and the back-end contains very little except for the tables.

I linked the tables from the fe to the be, but two users are still unable to open the database simultaneously

You say "linked the tables from the fe to the be" this sounds like the wrong way round. Do you mean that all the tables are in the BE and you have only links in the FE? Does each user have his or her copy of the FE?

Yes, all the tables are in the be and the links are only in the fe. The fe is on another server, I thought it would be easy for each user to access on the other server rather than have a copy locally. Is this correct?

No, I'm afraid not. Each user must have his or her own copy.

Remou & dhookom

You are so AWESOME!!! It is working perfectly. Thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back