Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple user accounts on one computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianHamel

IS-IT--Management
Oct 31, 2002
US
I have a couple of computers on site that anyone at our facility can walk up to and use. I would like to put Notes on these machines so people can use them to check their e-mail (I don't want to use iNotes because many people don't like the fact that you can't delete more than one e-mail at a time, etc.). There are two problems with this:

1. How can I get Notes to look to a folder on our server for the list of ID files from which to choose instead of looking on the local hard drive?

2. Is there any way I can have the mail icon and calendar icon go to the database of the individual logged on to that computer at the time, rather than pointing it to the database for the first user that signed in to Notes?

I am sure this can all be customized by hiring a developer but I would like to avoid the costs.

Thanks in advance for any help or recommendations.

Brian

Why don't you use the browser instead of Notes ?
Setting up user access from a browser is easy. I have a small db that does the trick, and you can certainly find something similar in the Notes Sandbox on Lotus' web site.
When you have that working, just set a shortcut to the web access db and users can navigate from there.

I have that working at my company for about 40 users and no one has complained.

Pascal.

Pascal,

I really didn't want to use the browser based mail (the iNotes view) but if this is the simplest way to deal with it, I'll give it a try. Perhaps no one will complain about the limitations of iNotes (i.e. not being able to mass delete junk mails).

Brian Hamel

With a few simple server-side rules, there might be less junk to delete.
For instance, not allowing reception of any .pif files would be a good way to lessen the junk and the viruses at the same time.

Pascal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back