Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple user accessing single file

Status
Not open for further replies.

jitu11875

Technical User
Nov 3, 2000
US
HI,
Please help me in using the same file by multiple user. I am using the Btrieve API to access the database. I have not installed the complete Pervasive but just using the DLL and the engine exe. Please suggest how can we use the Btrieve i.e Pervasive to be used by multiple user from different machine using Btrieve API

Regards,
Jitendar

You have to have the Pervasive drivers to do this. There are 3 different versions. The workstation which does not allow any sharing of files between different work stations. Then there is the workgroup version and then the server version. Depending on the version of Pervasive you can access the same file if you have the proper version. Gil

Thanks for the reply,
I am not aware of the type of engine we are using but will try figuring out from Pervasive as we have purchased the SDK, the about box no where says that we are using the workstation or workgroup engine. But incase we are using the workgroup engine , can I open the file using the BTRV API function or we need to go for BTRVID. I am a bit confused as the help says to use the functionnamed BTRVID for multiple access but we were using the BYRV call when we were using the old version of Pervasive i.e Btrieve.

Please feel free to write me if I am confusing.
Jitu11875@indiatimes.com

Regards,
Jitendar

The code you write can run under any of the 3 versions of Btrieve. The SDK comes with the single user version which only allows one user at a time to access the database.

You probably should visit and review there different sugguestions for the workgroup and server version to see which would fit your needs. Gil

Thanks Gil,
I will lookforward for UR help in this regard for any other problem I face in Pervasive. I will try quering Pervasive for that. I was told that the SDK will have the Workgroup engine for 3 user license. I will check into it. Thanks for the suggestion.
Regards,
Jitendar

Hi Gil,
I have the work group with three user licence but still I am facing the problem. I am not using the complete pervasive but just the few DLL and the EXE suggested by pervasive on site in the embedding guide. This is where I get the error in using the pervasive for multiuser environment.
Thanks for all the effoerts U R putting up
regards,
Jitendar

You will probably have to resolve it with Pervasive. I can understand your desire not to install all the megabytes that come with Pervasive's install. It could be that their install routine writes information to the registry that may be needed for multi-user use but that is a guess as I've not looked into it. Gil

If you are trying to embed the engine and are getting 116 errors, you probably haven't applied the user count. Your install will need to run the following command:
W32UCNST.exe -c101 -q&quot;<directory where ucmgr.key is located>&quot;
Hope this helps. If it doesn't, you should open an incident with Pervasive. Mirtheil
mirtheil@mirtheil.com
Custom VB and Btrieve development.

Thanks all for the wonderfull information, I resolved the issue as we are asked to go for the licence and the site of Pervasive didn't listed all the DLL and exe that was required. We need to include more exe to make it happen.
regards,
jitendar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back