Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple USB dongles for FTP transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

priy1

Programmer
Jul 13, 2010
GB
Hi,

I am trying to interface with multiple USB dongles via procomm, establish the PDP context and then initiate FTP transfers.

I have been able to establish the contexts but when I switch to the FTP window, the connection to the server cannot be established.

Another thing that I need advise on is that though using the AT commands I can see that the PDP address has been assigned, on the Windows machine comand prompt, ipconfig does not give me any address for the PPP interface. Is it because this establishment has been via Procomm?

I need help on the following:
a.) whether 15-16 USB dongles cn actually be controlled simultaneously using Procomm to establish FTP transfers?
b.) Whether the data rates can be logged for these transfers?

Help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Do these dongles look like a modem to Windows? Not familiar with this hardware.

Procomm doesn't do any direct logging of the transfer rates, you'll need to time that yourself or have the script record the start and stop times, then divide by the elapsed time.

Hi Knob,

yes, these dongles are recognised as dongles in Windows. I am able to establish the modem connection also via Procomm and can execute AT commands as well.
Though I am a bit confused about certain aspects:

a.) When I do a PDP establishment for the dongles using the Windows Dial-up-networking, the PPP interfcae IP address is diaplyed on doing a ipconfig on the command prompt.
However , when I use the at+cgact commadn from the Procomm to establish the PDP, no IP address gets recognised at the Windows level. Though I know that the PDP establishment has been successful, since on doing a at+agpaddr i can see the IP address.

Is it that the PDP context is restricted to the Procomm level in this case?

Also even when I try to shift to the FTP window in Procomm and then connect to the FTP server that we have, the connection is not possible. Stating that the host is unreachable.

My aim here is to connect multiple USB dongles (3g data dongles) to a machine and then control FTP transfers for them. The throuhgput also needs to be captured for each dongle.

I am new to Procomm but after going through your site and this forum, I think it might be possible to haev a master script spawn multiple processes, one each for a dongle adn then establish PDP and do data transfers. Logging might be an issue though.
From your experience do you think this might be feasible?
I am targetting a Windows machine for this.

Thanks for you help
Priy1

HI Again,

Well I am encountering a very strange behavior.
Using Prcomm if I dial the Windows DUN connction and then initiate the FTP transfer, it is successful.

However my intent was to establish the connection via the at commands. If I use the Data mode to send the AT commands to trigger the connection establishment and then execute the same script that I used before for the FTP connection, then it fails.

The PPP address does not get recognised at the Windows OS level. Has anyone seen this problem?

any help / pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Priy

In your last email when you say:

Using Prcomm if I dial the Windows DUN connction and then initiate the FTP transfer, it is successful.

Are you performing this dial in a different manner than using AT commands? In other words, you're dialing a DUN connection that you configured for one of the dongles, correct?

Not being familiar with these dongles, my next guess would be to try using HyperTerminal if available on your machine to try to rule Procomm out as an issue. Below is some information on that application that I've copied from my site:

If you find yourself in a situation where Procomm Plus cannot communicate with your modem, try using the copy of HyperTerminal that was installed with Windows. If HyperTerminal (or another terminal application) can access the modem successfully when Procomm Plus cannot, then you have a Procomm Plus problem to diagnose. However, if HyperTerminal also cannot talk to the modem, then you have a deeper problem to solve. HyperTerminal is usually located in the Communications subfolder under the Accessories program group.

Hi,

Just as an update : I have been able to crate the dial-up for the dongles. I defined these in the Conenction directory and then used the option to dial.
Now , however the problem is that as soon as I change the mode to FTP using the menuselect, I see that the connection is lost. I can see this on the lower pane of the Procomm window.
I thought it was perhaps a problem with my script but then I did the same thing manually.
Manually dialling the connection for Data in the connection diretory and then dilling the FTP entry. In this case also, the connection for data was broken.

Please let me know in case there are some settings required to let the change happen.
Any help would be highly appreicated.

Thanks a lot!!
Priy1

What happens if you have two Procomm windows open, one in data mode and the other in FTP mode? Dial the connection in the data mode, then make the FTP connection in the second window?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back