Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple TFTP Servers for multiple sites for differnet 46xx settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

ripvw32

MIS
Jun 3, 2004
US
All, I am looking to have ONE virtual server to host my TFTP server so that my IP phones can use it for thier settings file, easy enough right? Option 176 is configured in our network.. the issue is that ALL phones for ANY site will try to hone in on the TFTP server configured in that option string... I can set that option string to hone in on different virtual servers that host different TFTP server's IP addresses based on subnet, however I don't want to have to manage several different virtual servers whose only purpose in life is to host a subnet specific TFTP server.

My thought is to find a TFTP server that can upload a settings file based on the subnet the request comes from. For instance:

Phone A is in subnet ending in .101, it boots up, sees that the option string 176 is configured, and routes the request for settings to look at a server at 192.168.1.10, it requests the 46xx settings file, and the tftp server looks at the subnet and responds with the file specific to subnets ending in .101 as that settings file has a call server addressed as 192.168.10.101

Phone B is in subnet ending in .102, it boots up, sees that the option string 176 is configured, and routes the request for settings to look at a server at 192.168.1.10, it requests the 46xx settings file, and the tftp server looks at the subnet and responds with the file specific to subnets ending in .102 as that settings file has a call server addressed as 192.168.10.102

Same name on the settings file (as configured by Avaya) so I cannot change that (that would be TOO EASY), so it seems either I find a TFTP server capable of the above (loading the file based not on different name, but on requesting subnet) OR I get stuck with multiple virtual machines I have to go in and maunally update the settings file on each....

Anyone have any suggestions???

You could just use the System as TFTP server :)

ACS - IP Office Implement

"I'm just off to Hartlepool to buy some exploding trousers

I appreiate the response, but I am really not sure what you mean?

Are all the handsets running on the same system? If so just put a compact flash card into the IP Office and set it's LAN1 address as TFTP server and the handsets will take their files from the card.

I am not sure what you mean :)
What kind of pbx do you have ?
If you want to use different settings for different locations then put the phones in groups in the 46xxsettings.txt file
Then you can have one file for multiple sites
Only downside is that you have to put those phones in those groups manualy

RTFM.gif

ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

Oh I have just re-read your post, you want the handsets to have different settings files...well do as tlpeter said :)

Use the GROUP setting in the 46 settings file to send different settings to a particular phone.
I assume each subnet has its own DHCP server with each its own scope options, there you might set a GROUP parameter, i have never tried that. Otherwise you have to enter manually the group number in the phone.
Read the 46xx LAN Admin guide from Avaya.

Thanks for the information.. I am trying to automate the entire process, except the entering of the extension and password... Trying to limit the ammount of training an End User will have to have to use their phone... I will look at the group settings thing though...

If every sites has it's own "DHCP server" and that sending the 176 option add TFTPDIR=XXX (xxx is the drive mapping on the tftp server) then every site can have it's their own files (bin's/46xx)

Avaya_Red.gif

The issue is that my network team doesn't want different IP-Scopes solely for the phones (which I can understand, as it would be as much of a headache for them to administrate multiple scopes as is multiple TFTP servers are for me).

So the end all layout for me is:

Switch A: Controls 2 sites, geographically separated, cannot use the same settings file, but has same call server

Switch B, C, and D have multiple sites, can have the same settings EXCEPT for the call servers are different for each of the switches...

Trying for a totally automatic process based on option 176 being configured, excepting phone login.

Multiple DHCP Scopes are not an option soley for phone operation

We always use Multiple scopes for this, escpecialy when you do some tracing then you can see from wich site the ip address comes from.

Avaya_Red.gif

I can understand that, however in a company with well over 50K employees, and over 1K sites in the US, it becomes very tedious to create/administrate those scopes...

Does anyone know of a TFTP app that will filter and load specific files based on requesting subnet?

I think you outgrew the IP Office if you have 1000 sites and the 50 000 employees is slightly above the SCN capabilities even for the upcoming R5.
You might want to post that in the Definity forum they might have a trick for these types of operation.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

ripvw32, unfortunatley you have to work within the limitations of the system (regardless of the workload), the system can't be made to work with the limitations you are placing on it. For what you want I agree that you should have moved onto ACM/Definity a while ago :)

Guys.. sorry...I am on an S87xx platform, CM 5.1.2. I know that this is an IP Office forum, but in the definity forums, there is no discussion around IP anything hardly, except configuration of the servers, and a couple of phones here and there.. it is mostly about call routing (including, inbound/outbound treatments). I was looking for information quickly, so I apologize if I mislead anyone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back