Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Tables one Form

Status
Not open for further replies.

howsvamp

IS-IT--Management
Feb 7, 2001
US
Hi,

I am creating a database for invoice tracking, I need to have 5 tables for each region and I am worndering if I can have one form and put coding into the "Area" field to move the record to the appropriate "Area" table?!

Thank you

Maureen

Marueen,

To get data from more than one table onto a bound form, create a query.

That said, if you post your table names and the fields (or at least the PK and a summary of the other fields) here, someone might post some tips on how to structure your tables a little more slickly. It sounds like you have a table for each Area, and that's definitely a database no-no.

Jeremy =============
Jeremy Wallace
Designing, Developing, and Deploying Access Databases Since 1995

Take a look at the Developers' section of the site for some helpful fundamentals.

Thank you, my form will be used for data entry, there is no information in the 5 tables as of yet until we start 2003, then we input all invoices that come into our department. I have to have 5 tables due to 5 different reporting areas going into the database to retrieve information, rather than having people look at all of the information in the database, they can be limited to their area.

Thank you

Right. But you don't need to add four tables, you only need to add one field. That field will hold one of five values. Data will be filtered to show a user only the data for his or her area.

Check out the article called "Fundamentals of Relational Database Design" on my website. You'll find it quite helpful.

Jeremy =============
Jeremy Wallace
Designing, Developing, and Deploying Access Databases Since 1995

Take a look at the Developers' section of the site for some helpful fundamentals.

howsvamp:
JeremyNYC is right. Assuming your 5 tables have the same fields, just create one table, and add a field called [Area]. You can then filter what users see with no less security risk than the 5 tables method. And, your data entry form design will be a breeze. And, you won't be kicking youself by Jan 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back