Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple spids

Status
Not open for further replies.

csmeutah

IS-IT--Management
Mar 1, 2005
US
I have a group of GP users who switch companies back and forth during the day which apparently creates but does not kill the spid to the Master database. I have one user right now with over 90 spids to the Master db. Even those who don't switch have multiple spids.

Any idea why/possible resolutions? I'm concerned that these orphaned spids are still holding resources.

An explantion of spid use in GP would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Do any of your users have sleep or hibernation set up on their workstation's power settings.

When a workstation goes to sleep, the connection to SQL Server is lost. The Dexterity runtime engine will automatically reconnect and create a new SPID.

This could leave you will old unused connections.

I suggest you re-start your SQL Server to "clean up".

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Escalation Engineer - Microsoft Dynamics GP
Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific

Microsoft Dynamics (formerly Microsoft Business Solutions)

Any views contained within are my personal views and not necessarily Microsoft policy.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

So switching companies shouldn't create the orphans? No sleep mode at the workstations, perhaps a network issue causing it to drop connections.

Also, have you heard of a tool or consulting group that can combine databases? We need to combine these down into one db but need to address duplicate doc/customer/vendor/GL transaction issues.

Thanks again.

I would suggest starting a new combined company and importing all the cards and open transactions using Integration Manager. Just keep the old companies for archives.

Trying to combine companies will cause all kinds of headaches with duplicates and cross linked notes and a host of other issues.

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Escalation Engineer - Microsoft Dynamics GP
Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific

Microsoft Dynamics (formerly Microsoft Business Solutions)

Any views contained within are my personal views and not necessarily Microsoft policy.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back