Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Servers on 1 UPS??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbull15

Technical User
Oct 28, 2003
US
After spending the last few hours researching this possibility I have found very little information.
My question is, if I want to connect multiple servers to 1 UPS, is it possible to connect all servers via a USB hub and have them auto shutdown in the event of power failure?
And, if it's not possible via a USB hub is it possible through some other connection/cabling?

W2K
SQL 2000
Citrix MetaFrame 1.8

In the case of APC, the answer is NO. There are a few ways to acheive this however. You can purchase a Interface Expander which allows you to plug multiple communication cables (one from each server) to the UPS. See : or or if I remember correctly, there one interface that allows you to connect the comm cable into a data jack (network). After that, you install the agent on each server and from the console you may monitor each server.

The other solution is to have the communication cable installed on one single server. Then in case of power failure, the powerchute software allows you to run a command file. In this command file, you excute commands to have each server shutdown (using tsshutdn.exe for example). This is the method we are using for our customers. It's not ideal but it's a work around to a costly solution.

akwong, I appreciate the info. It's exactly what I was looking for.

W2K
SQL 2000
Citrix MetaFrame 1.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back