Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Server Registrations for a Server in Enterprise Manager 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

iaresean

Programmer
Mar 24, 2003
ZA
Hi All;

We have a bunch of SQL Server DB's running on a server. Lets call it 'SQL.SOMESERVER.COM' for this post. At the moment I have a single server registration entered into Enterprise Manager in order to connect to these databases.

My problem is that I have to keep on editing the server registration properties, changing the username and password, in order to access a different database on that server. I can't re-add 'SQL.SOMESERVER.COM' with a different username/password in order to create a new connection to a different DB housed on that server, as Enterprise Manager complains that a server with that name already exists (even if I try putting it in another group!). I find this quite irritating as I have to keep pulling the usernames/passwords from our secure server whenever I want to connect to a different DB on the 'SQL.SOMESERVER.COM' server.

I hope the above makes sense.

Does anyone know a workaround or a solution so that I can have multiple registrations to the same server, each with a different username/password corresponding to a database.

I would appreciate any and all help!

Sean. [peace]

If you create a login on the server, then grant access to all of the database to this new login, then you shouldn't need to bother with passwords anymore. Of course, this username and password should be very secure, something only you and a small handful of people know.

Then, you simply need to configure enterprise manager to use this new login and you should have appropriate permissions to all databases. If you do this and still have permission issues, then make this login be a 'db_owner' for each database.

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

Hi gmmastros;

Unfortunately I cannot do this as the server is not managed by us, and there is no way that the managing agents will allow for such a move. :-(

Regards;

Sean. [peace]

I wonder if using SQLServer Client Network Utility might let you do something like you want. Just a wild stab in the dark.

Oakgrove Computer Grouper
Lansing, MI

That should work:

Click Start-Run
Type: cliconfg.exe

Click 'Alias' tab
Click 'Add'
Type a server alias (call it anything you want)
For server name: type SQL.SOMESERVER.COM
Make sure the network library is TCP/IP

Then, in enterprise manager:
Right click SQL Server Group
New SQL Server Registration
click next
add the 'new' server, click next.
In the 'connect using' section, select SQL Server login...
click next
Specify the user name and password, click next.
click next again (for SQL Server group).
Click finish.

Hope this helps.

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

Simply Wonderful!

I love tek-tips.

Regards;

Sean. [peace]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor