Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MULTIPLE restore installs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beth20

Technical User
Sep 27, 2004
US
MULTIPLE restore installs?

Hi all,

I run high end programs on multiple systems. Over time, windows gets corrupted and needs clean installs. ( dont want to argue this point
please)

What program can I back up my entire operating
system and all my normal installed programs.
( probably about 20 gig worth)?

I want to be able to just plug a usb drive
into a computer - clean format the offending
system - and reinstall XP and all my programs
in one click?

am I dreaming?

thanks!

Are the "multiple systems" identical? If not, you will have to make an "Image" (Ghost, Acronis, etc.), of each system. How big are the file systems on these hard drives? If under 4 gig each, you could burn a DVD for each system. Actually, if you need to, you could burn an image on multiple discs (called "spanning") of each system.

yeah basically identical.

I dont need ALL the programs on each system,
but might as well to make things easier.

I figure up to 5 gigs of programs. and I guess
xp is about 1.5 gig, right?

so maybe about 10 gigs needed.

so you cant have 3 diffent backups,
with a different copy of xp on each system?

I own 3 copies now.

Yes you can - run sysprep on the installation before ghosting (or whatever other imaging software you use) it. You'll need to supply a few details (like the appropriate XP key for the machine concerned) during the mini-setup when you boot after restore (and reactivate). 10 gigs on external hard drive should take several minutes to restore.

If you keep a separate backup for each machine, you can supply details to unattended.txt file like the XP key to save you typing it in each time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back