Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MULTIPLE REMOTE DESKTOP PC IN A NETWORK WITH A SERVER

Status
Not open for further replies.

globalbiometrics

IS-IT--Management
Jul 28, 2006
CA
I want my users to be able to remotely control thier office PCs from thier home. this office has 15 workstations, server and a router they're all in one subnet.
These are the steps that I did:
1. each 4 workstations has thier own ports(3390-3394) and they all have XP Pro and remote desktop is enable.
2. the workstation has its own static address.
3. the router is set up for port forwarding

for some reason these steps doesnt work.
please help me.... note: there are no other firewall turned on ecept for the router)

Are you saying you gave each workstation in the office a custom port for Remote Desktop? If so, then they would need to change the port used for remote desktop on their home machines to match. Not sure how to do this.

A couple of things come to mind. First, are you forwarding the ports you assigned to each computer to port 3389 on that computer, or just forwarding incoming traffic on a specific port to a specific computer? Forwarding to port 3389 on the target computer is easier (and easier to change later), but some routers do not support this. If you are simply forwarding the traffic without translating the port, you will need to edit the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber

The value should be decimal and reflect the port you have assigned to that machine.

On the client end, the name or ip address your users are connecting to must be followed by a colon and the port number you have assigned to the computer they are trying to connect to such as 23.23.23.23:3390 or router.yourdomain.com:3390.

Are ports 3390-3394 open on the router? How are the remote clients connecting? They open remote desktop from home and type in the public IP of your router followed by :3390 as mhkwood pointed out?

yup all those ports areopen and they're connecting through remote desktop followed by the port number

First, make sure that it works from inside the network.

Just out of curiosity, what version of Windows do you have on the server (if you do have a server). If you have a flavor of Windows 2003, you can use Remote workspace or something like that, you basically, type in the URL (from Internet Explorer) that points to your Windows 2003, then there's a drop down list that allows you to connect to your office computer.

Could you set up each computer with LogMeIn Free, Pro, or Enterprise? I was using Radmin for awhile but I liked the security, stability, and features of LogMeIn better.

Did you enable RDP encryption on the work stations, and have you thought about a vpn?

how do you enable encryption? I was thinking about VPN but im not really sure how it works and how to set it up. is it kinda remote desktop?[ponder]

You have the ports open on the router. Then how does the router translate which ports go to which computer on the internal network? Are you using NAT or some kind of Port Forwarding on the router?

Example: I have a public address of 12.125.14.6
My Internal network is 192.168.1.0
Computer with 192.168.1.2 is using port 3390 for RDP
The router has to know that traffic coming in on 12.125.14.6 port 3390 has to go to 192.168.1.2. How is this done with the router/firewall you are using?

i have linksys router and I enable port forwarding on the router. all the ports are pointing to the right IP address.

Smah had a good suggestion. Can you access this internally? First try the internal address, then see if you can hit the public address from within your LAN.

thanks.. everyone for the help. I figured what the problem was. i missed a firewall on the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back